• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New little bunny not well or just frightened?

I'm a newbie to Rabbits United Forum, but I hope you can help me. We adopted a bunny from our local SSPCA last week. She's a timid little thing, 1year old, but seemed to finally be coming out of her shell. She's outside, in a run with a hutch, and had settled in ok. However, this evening, she has started demonstrating some unusual behaviour. She's stretching out her back legs, her heart is beating rapidly, and is burying her nose against the hutch door. She's stretching into a number of positions, including pushing her front paws against the wire on the front of the hutch. I've looked her over, and there is no sign of any visible injuries. Poos are ok, eyes are clear but closed a little. My kids are very upset - can anyone help? Has something just frightened her, or is this something more serious?

Hi!

Is she eating? If she is, then she could just be stretching out, could her hutch be too small for her to do this properly?

If she isn't eating, then you probably need to take her to the vets tonight because she could have GI Stasis. This is serious but with the right treatment from a vet, there is a much better chance of her recovering.

Hope she feels better soon.

If she is "restless" and stretching out, I would take her to the vet to get checked out asap. This is one of the signs I look out for with mine (can be a number of things) that they are in some sort of discomfort. Heavy breathing can also be a sign of infection and may require anti-biotics.

Thanks Bunny Babe and Frisky Clover,

She's not eating, I've tried to tempt her with some lettuce and some hay. She's also not drinking water just now. I'll get her to the vets tomorrow to see what they say.

Many thanks for your help - my little girl is sitting on my knee just now, and would also like to thank you very much for helping her and her brother's bunny. :)

Thanks Bunny Babe and Frisky Clover,

She's not eating, I've tried to tempt her with some lettuce and some hay. She's also not drinking water just now. I'll get her to the vets tomorrow to see what they say.

Many thanks for your help - my little girl is sitting on my knee just now, and would also like to thank you very much for helping her and her brother's bunny. :)

Poor rabbit!

I really would try to take her tonight, every hour makes a difference with poorly bunnies, particularly with tummy trouble. I know it's a faff but it's worth it to get her on the mend quickly.

If you cannot take her, try to get her to drink fluids (sometimes a bowl of warm water works best) and keep her warm (inside with her hutchmate if she has one). If you can tempt her with anything to eat, grass, bread, anything, just keep her eating if you can. Also try to get her to hop around.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

Unfortunately, we live in a small village and the two vets here are both shut, I've already tried. We've opened the hutch door, and she has jumped outside, but is now sitting under the hutch. Would bringing the hutch inside tonight help?

Did you listen to the full answer phone message at each vets? Unless the rules are different in Scotland (I think that's where you are?), then the vets are obliged to make provisions for out of ours care. There may be another number to call to speak to the on call vet or leave a pager message.

Unfortunately, we live in a small village and the two vets here are both shut, I've already tried. We've opened the hutch door, and she has jumped outside, but is now sitting under the hutch. Would bringing the hutch inside tonight help?

:wave: hiya would def bring her inside they get really cold quickly if they are ill (has she got a bunny friend?). And i agree with vets asap.
x

Last edited:
You need to keep her warm so bringing her in tonight will help, lots of fluids and get her to move around. Also give her some tummy rubs. Please get her to the vet asap as they can go downhill so quickly.

Try putting some water in a bowl and a dash of boiling to make it more like room temperature and see if she will drink from that. If not, do you have a syringe (without the needle!) that you could see if she will drink from.

I would bring the hutch in if you can, poorly bunnies find it difficult to regulate their temperature.

However, it may be worth observing her outside under the hutch if there is any grass. A little while back, my Smokey went into stasis (not eating or pooing) and after giving her Infacol (which you could try if you have some) and syringe feeding her, she seemed no better. I was on the verge of calling the emergency vet and had let her and Inky into the run, so it would be easier to catch her, while I was inside, I looked out to see her nibbling a little bit of grass, I was so relieved! Perhaps let her have a few minutes outside wandering before you bring her indoors, she may try the grass or hay.

We've brought her into the house, and although she is still not eating or drinking, she hopped about the hall and her breathing is certainly better.

Seriously, many thanks for your help, the kids and I really appreciate all your advice!

Poor poor bunny :( Glad shes picked up a little since being indoors, is she still stretching out?? I foster for the rspca and at our branch, the bunnies are either adopted in pairs or singles to be part of a pair... will she ever have a friend?? :) Sending lots of get well vibes for her xXx

kepp tryin her with little bits a food cos a bunny thats not eating or drinking is poorly hun, also its not iceberg lettuce you are feeding her is it cos thats not good for them either, hope she gets well soon fingers crossed :love:

Sometimes when they have a tummy ache, a bit of excercise gets things moving again. How long has she been with you? It maybe a slight change of diet that has upset her. It could it be a new type of veg she/he hasn't had before that has upset her tum. Buns can be sensitive to certain types of fruit and veg. I found if my bun had apple she got tummy ache and wouldn't eat. Its best to try a small amount of any new veg and build up the quantity slowly over a period of a week or so. Sorry if you know this already i didn't. This resulted in her getting a tummy ache, a trip, to vet and syringe feeding gut motility treatment.

Really hope your bunny feels better soon. Please let us know. :D

Bring her in (as everyone says);
Go and get some tough bits of older grass (not young lawn stuff but weedy old stuff) and offer some to her;
If she will not eat that go to your nearest shop and buy fresh herbs (coriander is best - failing that Parsley);
While you are there equip yourself with some apple juice (the fresh expensive stuff ot the sicky kids stuff) and some pears to mash and some suitable fruity baby food;
If she will not eat any of that of her own free will then try very very very carefully oral syringing some liquidised pear and baby food. You must be VERY careful with this as she must not breathe any solids or liquids into her lungs.
Personally I would sit up the night with her, keep her moving, give gentle tummy rubs, and keep her warm. Keep opffering food.
All of this is on the theory that you still have not found a 24 hour vet and she is still not eating of own volition..

PS This doesn't mean the other comment about introducing food is wrong (its right!) just that tgis is the time to try anything at all to get her just to eat! Grass really would be the best thing.

Force feed w/ syringe on either (non meat content) baby food or get some blackberries and smash it w/ a juicer, and chop up some 1 mm long hay stem w/ the mix and force feed the bunny.

Use another syringe to feed some water into your bun. Go slow, 0.5 cc at a time

Back