• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Never rains but it pours . . . now Teasal

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Well pouring somewhat literally in Teasal's case. The full sludge discussion is on another thread. However in last two days he developed urethra spasms and was put on Valium (and had accupuncture for relaxation of bladder and bupromorphine). From straining to pass a single drop he is now flooding the place - including his legs and bottom.

Is this normal when they have been given Valium/Diazapan???

I feel like he has gone from bladder sludge to wee 'constipation' to wee incontinence all in 48 hours.

(No wonder I didn't notice that Parsley was gnawing his staples . . . see other thread).

Don't know who to worry about most.

Also don't feel I can put Rearguard on teasal as he always licks it off and makes himself sick - and as he feels so rotten at present and has urethritis . . . but he is all wet even though he is on vetbed.

Anyone help with either thread????? . . . think I'll make myself a string cup of tea with sugar . . .

Ive not had any experience of this problem Im sorry. If Teasal is in a hutch outside put some net curtain material over the mesh to stop flies getting. Sending vibes and hugs to you :)

I suspect that his urinary incontinence will resolve. Once the cycle of urethral spasm has been broken by the diazepam your Vet will probably suggest weaning him off it and he should regain control of his bladder.

I would give the Vet a call in the morning to ask if you should start weaning him off the diazepam.

:)

Thats a relief to know:D

I don't think I could cope with a house and patio bun that seems to just flood the place!! But at least he doesn't look like he did when he couldn't 'go'!!:oops:

Just have to resolve the sludge now . . . :?

So of the two of them . . . maybe I'll spend the night worrying about Parsley and his staples:?:?:roll: . . . though I did notice that the fur round Sweet Pea's eye was a bit stiff tonight, so his tear duct must be jamming up again :(:(. so I could worry about him?

Or maybe I'll hire a metal detector and spend the night searching the lawn and run for Parsley's staple to try and prove to myself that he didn't eat it . . . goes away to drift 'off thread' . . .

Back