• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neuter, yes or no?

amycraig66

Warren Scout
Hey, my little lionhead boy is now just over 6 months now and I have been thinking about getting him done. He is a very happy bun and isn't showing any signs of agression etc. He does circle my feet but doesn't spray or bite. I know there are other health reasons to neuter but i am scared of something going wrong. He is a sensitive boy and when he had his vaccines was a little ill for 48 hrs after.

Advise please?

Id Say Not To Get Him Done For The Time Being.
Seeing He's Not Spraying Or Being Aggresive =]

But If He Does I Think Your Have To Take The Risk

My answer I would have him neuted , it takes away aggression and he won't spray you with wee as much. I also think that would be good if you got him a mate as friend, we plan to get a mate for Timba next year when we return from our travels

Hey, my little lionhead boy is now just over 6 months now and I have been thinking about getting him done. He is a very happy bun and isn't showing any signs of agression etc. He does circle my feet but doesn't spray or bite. I know there are other health reasons to neuter but i am scared of something going wrong. He is a sensitive boy and when he had his vaccines was a little ill for 48 hrs after.

Advise please?

:wave: hiya hun. I would def recommend neuter. i was more than hysterical when shauny was done (think i put the fear of god into my vet the way i was carrying on:oops:).

shauny started with the dance round the feet then went on to hummping everything (includin my head in my sleep), and then on to weeing on everything.

i think it is more safe to have a boy neutered (seems less invasive). But if done by a rabbit savvy vet it should go ok.

We left shauny way too late (to the point it was unbearable for us, and him) the vet told us cause wed left him and his behaviour for quite a while he could have formed the ''habbit'' of doing it:shock:.
x

Neuter for me too. I know its hard and I am lucky Harvey was done before I got him at the RSPCA but I had Tika done and it was so worth it. :)

Good luck!

I would definitely get him neutered. I know it's scary when they have any op done, but anaesthetics have come a long way and it really is low risk if done by a rabbit savvy vet on a healthy bun.

If he's a bit of a frail bunny then you might be able to leave it for another 3 months or so before he starts to show aggresion etc. This should give him a chance to grow a bit more, maybe put on a bit of weight if you think he is a bit frail. In the long run however I would definately recommend getting him done.

:wave: I would get him done. My baby Cookie, got done on Friday and I was so ill with worry I couldn't even come on the forum :oops: It is worth it though because his pee was starting to smell stronger even though I clean his tray every day.

I was planning on getting my boy neutered before he had EC....now i dont think i will as i think its alot to put a bun through that already has problems.....but if he was 100% healthy i would go for it.

when he had his vaccines was a little ill for 48 hrs after

That's normal, it doesnt necessarily mean he reacts badly to things. If your vet thinks he's healthy enough for the op, then go for it.

thank you guys. I did think it would be better in the long run and I have been desperate to get him a girlfriend. xx

I had Darcy my 20 week french lop buck neutered last Friday and was very nervous about it. Got him home same day and gave him lots of tlc and within 12 hours he was almost back to normal. He had 7 day check up this morning and the vet is pleased with him. Was still a worry but think having it done certainly out weighs the slight chance of something going wrong.

Darcy tipped the scales at 4.25kg today.

S.

Back