• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Webcam? Any Ideas!?!

hollyd123

Warren Scout
Hiya, :wave:

I was thinking it would be fab to set up a webcam so I could watch the rabbits when I am at work. But then, I have no idea how to go about setting one up or what is involved?! :lol:

The camera would be inside the shed which is at the bottom of the garden, how would the info from the camera to the pc? Would I have to have a pc running all day everyday at home?

We are incubating six eggs at the moment also, it'd be great to have the webcam to watch them also! :D

I can't spend very much on this idea, is it a possiblilty do you think or a no go?

Many thanks, ;)

Holly

I think someone once posted a link to a shop that sold Wireless Cams, and you can get live images on your PC.
If you do a search, I am sure you will find it.
Good Luck x
Jack x

im getting one soon hopefully.. but im leaving the which one to ste :D

will let you know how i get on in about a week or two if your not sorted by then

i'd love to know as well!! i know you can get wireless ones but i don't know how you would view it on your PC as i'd also like to watch from work but i wouldn't want to leave my pc on at home all day.
any advice would be great!

Well I think the first thing you need to consider is how will you get power to your shed?

The easiest type of webcam you can use is a Network Camera. You need to consider what type of home network you already have. Do you have a wireless router for your broadband? If so you can buy a wireless network camera and it will connect to your broadband through the wireless router. If not then you could use a normal network camera and run a network cable from the camera to your broadband router. If you have a network camera then you won't have to leave your computer on as the camera will connect directly to the internet when you want to view it.

Here's a couple of examples

Network Camera:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=599484
Wireless Network Camera:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=599486

If you need more info feel free to ask me.

timboh- thats all sounds and looks great, can i ask you a few more questions as i haven't a clue with these things as you'll see!

we have wireless broadband so do i simple turn the camera on and with thesoftware i can then view it on my pc, no need for anything else?
i take it the camera runs on batteries?
you say you don't need your computer on, so does that mean it has to be on stand by though as i usually turn mine off at the wall, would this still work?
can i then view it from any pc or just the one in my house?

thanks!

timboh- thats all sounds and looks great, can i ask you a few more questions as i haven't a clue with these things as you'll see!

we have wireless broadband so do i simple turn the camera on and with thesoftware i can then view it on my pc, no need for anything else?
i take it the camera runs on batteries?
you say you don't need your computer on, so does that mean it has to be on stand by though as i usually turn mine off at the wall, would this still work?
can i then view it from any pc or just the one in my house?

thanks!

Well I hope your wireless broadband has a password set on it at the moment? You would have to connect the camera to your computer using a cable first of all and use the software that comes with the camera to set your wireless password on the camera so that it can connect. Then you can disconnec the cable and take the camera where you want it.

Those cameras that I linked run off the mains, so you would need some kind of power point in your shed. I've not seen any that run off batteries :?

Once it's all up and working your computer can be completely turned off and it will still work because the camera will connect directly to the internet using your broadband router and the computer isn't involved.

Initially you will only be able to view it on your PC, a couple of settings will need to be done on your router so that you can view it over the internet. It's not too complicated. What you have to do is forward the port that your camera uses on the router so that it points to the IP address of the camera. You would probably also want to setup something called dynamic DNS on the server so that you could access your camera using a URL, eg http://mybunnycamera.homeip.net I could help with these things if you needed and if you let me know what make/model of wireless router you have.

Back