• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

free range rabbit

Hi, i am new to the forum and would welcome your thoughts on my rescue bunny. Just over a year ago I gave a forever home to a young rabbit who was due to be put to sleep at a local vets. He was found in the middle of a busy roundabout where he had possibly been dumped,as there were no houses around, though he may have escaped and made his own way there. The usual checks were done, but no owner could be found, so to cut a long story short we offered to take him in rather than see him destroyed. Having never had a bunny before it has been a fast learning curve for all, but I'm pleased to say that over a year on we now have a happy, healthy, friendly young man who we all adore. I do, however have a couple of concerns for him. Firstly, I have never managed to successfully get him to use his hutch so he has always lived in the garden free range. He loves it, but I do worry about his safety due to predators. The garden has a very high wall and he cannot dig out, but I have no doubt that a determined predator could get in. I would like to keep him as free range as possible, but would ideally like him to be in the secure hutch overnight. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this appealing to him, and how to encourage him. He will eat in there happily but thats about all we've managed so far. Also, he has never been neutered. Could anyone advise me on the benefits of this, particularly as we are considering getting him a pal.:)

:wave: and welcome to the forum.

My two are free range most days during the day so long as we are around and can keep an eye on them. I have a wendy house for them with a cat flap where they can go in and out as they please, I also use this to our advantage as it is a 4 way locking one e.g. you can lock it so they can get in the hut but can't get out, vice versa and lock it totally of a night so they can't get out and nothing can get in.

Predators will be able to get into your garden if they want to.

Neutering, he will not spray as much and obviously if the bunny you get to go with him (if it is female) will not get pregnant. However, you should have females spayed too as there is an 80% chance of cancer.

My rabbits are free range too and I just put some yummy herbs and veggies or small amount of pellets in the hutch and shut the door, they were clever at first and evaded my efforts but after a couple of weeks they gave up and now are in before I come out some evenings!

Neutering is a great idea as he can then have a wife ;) it also reduces/clears up any hormonal stresses he has :D

There are lots of neutered females on Rabbit Rehome, he will still be fertile for upto a month after the op but can be introduced to a female that has already been neutered once he is healed, around 10 days later. His hormones will take a little longer to subside though so you may find that waiting a month or so (some a bit longer) after the operation is best and then introduce a friend. :D

many thanks to you both for your posts and advice. what gorgeous bunny pics. The grey looks exactly like my boy 'Zoolander'. do you know what breed or type he is as I have not been able to find out? I will certainly take on board your comments and keep trying with the hutch. Also. I will make enquiries at the vets about neutering. Once again, thanks for your prompt response.

I think mine are both Heinz variety.......... Katy's RSPCA adoption says Dutch X I think (white and black one).

As Autumn comes in foxes will start to get braver as the supply of baby rabbits dwindles, so I think you'll have to try to herd the wee rascal into the hutch for his own safety. As previously suggested make sure that his favourite treats are in there to help soften the blow:D
A quick hijack of the thread..but....
Hi Sandra..Every time I see Katy I wonder if she could have been related to Pansy who came from the rescue near you:D

Predators come in the day - and whether you're home or not too... Depending on how much room you have, how about a small shed or playhouse rather than a hutch? He might find that less 'confining'. (My bunny is a free range house bun and his cage is never shut, he always has access to the dining room at least. The other day I had to shut him in his cage for 10 mins whilst I cleared up some broken glass - he was furiously indignant :lol: More space the better, he says!)

Neutering - you'll need to get him neutered to get him a friend. I gather two males are harder generally speaking to bond than a mixed pair, and both males would really need to be neutered to reduce the risk of them fighting. With a mixed pair, obviously you want to avoid baby bunnies. You can have just one of a mixed pair neutered to avoid pregnancy, but that doesnt stop the hormones flowing so both neutered is best for them to get on well too.

Zoolander's obviously done well to end up being looked after by you ;)

Back