• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

round hard bellys?

kimd6200

Banned
what is it when a bunny has a round hard belly?i went fetch a sack of food last night n the person i get it off is a breeder etc,but i always stoke n fuss his babies.anyway,noticed a couple had realy hard tummies.felt balloon like? x

Possibly Mucoid Enteropathy? Classic sign is a bloated belly which makes a swooshy watery sound when shaken. Did they have watery poops as well?

I doubt multiple buns would suffer from bloat at the same time? Unless there was a problem with food, etc?

true. I'm no expert at all! :lol: My vet just told me that tummies that feel like balloons was bloat and potentially serious. I have only had one of mine feel like that and we took her to vet and it was indeed bloat.
I had 2 buns with mucoid enteritis (is that the same as mucoid enteropathy?) and their tummies were very large but very spongey. :? They both passed mucousy poo. We unfortunately lost one bu the other survived.
That's my only experience of either of them though x x

I've never had a bun with ME either. I think it's only something that breeders or people who buy very young buns have a problem with

My bertie had a really round hard tum a couple of weeks ago and he ended up being really poorly. He's not a baby but I would suggest that it's not a good thing in any bun of any age. Is there any way you could mention it to the breeder?? Poor little babies they might be really sick??

Are these babies weeks or days old?
either way if all of them are showing symptoms they ought to have a vet look at them..difficult if they are very young..
perhaps you could suggest your new rabbit savvy vet to this breeder..who obviously isn't a good one if not spotted her babies are not well:?
hope the little ones pull through

There are two scenarios with this post Kim, for which I will try and advise you:

1.If you are visiting a breeder, I personally would collect my food and leave. I would not touch any bunnies, that could potentially have disease, and then take it back to my own. If they are irresponsible enough not to seek vet care, then thats up to them, but you need to ensure that you are not walking in a contagious disease to your own.

2. If your own bunnies are still unwell following the vet diagnosing the E Coli, I would take them back to the vet and ask him if he feels the bunnies could have mucoid enteritis. The sooner they start on treatment for this, if this is likely, the better.

Agree with raine, but probably wouldn't even get food from the breeder. It might have been stored in bad conditions and become mouldy... which could cause poisoning, especially in young rabbits

There are two scenarios with this post Kim, for which I will try and advise you:

1.If you are visiting a breeder, I personally would collect my food and leave. I would not touch any bunnies, that could potentially have disease, and then take it back to my own. If they are irresponsible enough not to seek vet care, then thats up to them, but you need to ensure that you are not walking in a contagious disease to your own.

2. If your own bunnies are still unwell following the vet diagnosing the E Coli, I would take them back to the vet and ask him if he feels the bunnies could have mucoid enteritis. The sooner they start on treatment for this, if this is likely, the better.

hya im trying get food from somewhere else but cant find a supplier.i only stay is because me and his wife are trying to get him to give up his rabbits.ive mentioned him before?rspca did nothing?i bleach my hands before i touch mine,change clothes and ive got a bucket of virkon that i make people dip feet in before coming round my yard:oops:crazy i know but dont want anymore illness.weve told him take his the vets but he wont.i cannot try anymore.x

aww he should take em to vets if they not well poor little things, thats not very fair on the bunny babies :cry:

If he has sick bunnies and he is not getting vet treatment for them, then the RSPCA need to come. I did ask you for his details and I would phone the RSPCA, but you haven't provided me with his name and address as yet.

Back