• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just started to use "easibed" in the toilet

matt987106

New Kit
we started to use easibed last week,

now i have a few issues with it

we have a corner litter toilet, i have filled this up to the edge, but as the rabbits use the toilet, the wee just seems to run though the easibed and sit at the bottom of the toilet, this is my downside

the upside is it doesnt smell

any1 else notice this

I've not tried it. Have you tried any of the recycled paper type beddings like carefresh? They absort quite well.

Megazorb is really absorbent n very cheap for a big sack, ya dont need to fill the pan right up to the top tho hun it only needs a layer on the bottom of pan then i cover it with cheap hay :)

I looked for Megazorb (as recommended a lot on RU) and couldn't find it locally but found Easibed.

I used it once and didn't like it. It's not as absorbent as the wood based cat litter I've used before, so went straight back to the cat litter. The trays were much harder to clean ... though massively cheaper so I might try mixing the two to see if that is acceptable. (I've also got a huge bag of Easibed so I need to find something to do with it!!)

My big bag of megazorb was delivered today, only ordered it on Wednesday! Very happy with it so far, got it from Hay Experts, along with a hay selection pack for £3.99.

I've never used it myself but Easibed is a horse bedding - I thought the point of it was that it drained away from the top? Might be wrong tho.

I use wood cat litter for my lionhead and just confine hay to racks for the pure fact it doesn't tangle in his mane.

I've never used it myself but Easibed is a horse bedding - I thought the point of it was that it drained away from the top? Might be wrong tho.
QUOTE]

No you're not wrong ... *inspiration strikes*
The assistant at the suppliers described it as 'absorbent' but ....

It does drain away from the top ... it's given me the idea to try cat litter at the bottom, where it needs to be absorbent and a layer of Easibed on top .. where it will drain away from...

I use Easibed and have had no problems with it. I started using it instead of Megazorb, as Megazorb was being eaten accidentally in with the hay, and it expands. It might not cause problems in the gut, but Easibed seems less likely to.

Sounds like a good idea to me. The only prob I have with wood pellets is that they disintergrate when wet and you see to chane them alot. If you have easibed on top it should stay nice and dry while the bottom absorbs everything. Might try it myself! :)

I guess with Horses its deeper and as you use such a lot the idea is that if the top stays dry you don't have to change it so often being cheaper and a lot less work! I miss my riding days but I was glad the horses weren't stabled (they were predominanently in a paddock with a shelter) as mucking out all those shavings is a nightmare.

Back