• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please .....

roarysmam

Young Bun
My buck Roary was neutered on the 16th July and has been fantastic since. A few days ago my daughter noticed that he was losing his fur on his back, I mean excessive hair loss, coming out in hand fulls. It isnt leaving a bald patch though because there is new (even though different to his normal colourings) fur underneath. The skin appears very healthy and no sign of any infection.

I have had him to the vets tonight and the vet hasnt got a clue what has caused this. The vet did say that it was unusual.

Any ideas?? Could it be stress related from his op?

Just cost me £15 (which obviously I dont mind paying) but I am still none the wiser.

He is eating and drinking and playing as usual.

Thanks

Diane x

It sounds to me like he is just doing a big moult if there is new fur underneath. When Honey moulted recently her fur came out in handfuls too - she's all sleek and neat again now though! Other people will know better than me though.

Phew!!!! Thanks. My 12 year old daughter was in tears on the way to the vets thinking that something was seriously wrong!

He was never moulted to this extent before and have to say it has been quite worrying.

Like I said the vet didnt have a clue! Time to change vets me thinks!:(

Back