• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on run needed please

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
O.K. I want to have a run built that will attach to the shed with a cat flap in the shed for his access. Now, my question - should it be tall enough for me to stand up inside of - like 6' or should it just be tall enough for Smudge to jump around in? It will be 20 ft long by 6 ft wide.

ALSO - How do I make it secure and not ricketty? Don't want it blowing over. It will be on paving slabs.

I think it would be easier for yourself to make it tall so you can fit in.One of my runs is about 4ft tall and 8ft foot long and it is a killer crouching down to clean it.
OH has bolted our run to the concrete.

it will be easier if you can stand in it....imagine if you want to catch him and he goes right down the other end and wont come up. :?

My runs are 18ft x 6ft made out of 6 x 3 aviary panels, attatched to sheds. They are only 3ft high but I have hinged half of the roof so it is easier to get in to clean etc. Although better... it would have cost quite a bit more if I had made them both 6ft high. :shock: They are bolted down to the concrete bases and also have two supports down the middle as it would probably go saggy otherwise at that size! Hope you get what I mean, I have pics if it helps. :)

Well it's easier to clean if tall enough for you to go in, but there isn't any real benefit to the rabbit once it gets higher than his jump height :)

To make it 'stable' I suggest not trying to make each panel too big. Use thicker wood rather than really thin stuff. You can also buy metal angle brackets and supports from wilkos / DIY shops that will keep all of your angles firm. You may want to use wood posts driven into the ground to support it if it is very big.

Jbun1 - I'd LOVE to see piccys if possible please. Someone on here posted the very thing I had in mind - but can't remember who and I need an idea of how much it would cost.... Thanks everyone - have decided to get it big enough to stand in if poss.

No probs. :) Excuse the half finished paintwork! :oops:
P8260108-1.jpg

P8260109-1.jpg

I used aviary panels because I already had them, so I'm not sure how much they cost now, and these were built 3 yrs ago. 10 were used for this run, but I had the fence to butt them against, so that saved 3. If I had turned them the other way to make it 6ft high, I would of needed 14 per run. The 3 roof panels at the front are hinged so I can get to most of it without crouching...although I do have to climb through the hatch! I rarely have to though, because I can sit with them in the shed or out on the grass, and they never mess in there either! :D

This is superb! I suppose I could do the same but hinge the top part - so I could climb in and leave the top off completely while I clean - bun would be in shed. Cool! Thanks for ideas.

Back