• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fractured toe

lucky

New Kit
Yesterday I noticed the nail on one of Benji's (fawn/sandy bun) front paws was sticking up. I had a feel around and he didn't seem to be in pain (though I know they hide it) and he moves around fine and digs etc - to be honest if it hadn't have been sticking up so much you'd never have known there was a problem.
Anyway, I had to go to the vets with them this morning as they'd had a course of antibiotics following their recent neutering so I asked the vet about it. She said the whole toe was moving a little more than you would expect :shock:and she suspected he had fractured it but it was either an old injury and had heeled itself (but not properly) or it just wasn't causing him any bother. I suspect he has done this when he has jumped out of my arms, he has a habit of when he gets near to the run/hutch he tends to try and make a jump for home - I've since managed to find a way of stopping him but that is the only way I can think he could have done it.
It just seems weird to me that there's no pain etc. The vet doesn't seem concerned she didn't say anything about having it treated.
What do you think? Should I be worried? :?

You could always have a second opinion if hat would help put your mind at rest. Thing is, many vets are reluctant to do things to bunnies if they are otherwise well, because anaesthetics can bring on other problems such as gut hypomotility/stasis or stress which can lead to other health problems. Your vet prob thinks that as your bunny is eating and otherwise seems happy, there is little point in 'upsetting the apple cart'. It may well be that he has an old injury (although from your description i do not fully understand what the toe looks like), but if there are no problems then why put him thru a anaesthetic and xrays 'just so YOU know why', do you know what i mean? I would certainly keep a close eye on him and his toe and any probs then go back toy your vet, but otherwise, if he's happy, healthy and eating - maybe just leave him be. Its not uncommon to leave an old fracture in any species so long as its causing no problems for the animal

Faline has a nail sticking up like that, we noticed it just before her last vacc so asked about it, at first they thought it would drop off, but it's stayed put and is just growing funny now. We got told the same thing, as it's not causing any problems to leave it.

Inky broke his toe last year and it has healed slightly wonky (inspite of the best efforts of myself and the vet). It doesn't seem to cause him any problems, only that I have to get the vet to do his claws, I daren't do that one myself (although I do for Smokey)!

Just keep an eye on it, if it seems OK and he's not limping, I'd leave it.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll leave it be and just keep an eye on it for now. He seems happy, he's still running around and digging so he can't be in much pain.

Thanks again! :wave:

Back