• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit litter

AngelAnn

Young Bun
I have been buying my rabbit litter from pets at home for over a year now (wood litter pellets) I like the litter because it doesn't absorb the odour as I've had alot of problems at the beginning with my buns 'forgetting' where to wee!
However I've just recently read someones message and people advised her not to use anything that becomes dusty as it can cause respiratory problems. The wood litter I use does become very dusty when the rabbits wee on it and then they start to dig in their litter tray and dust flies out everywhere!

Can anyone advise me of a good litter that doesn't absorb the odour? I've been looking at tesco, asda etc but most cat litters absorb odour

We stopped using wood shavings after reading a few posts on here as to why they can be bad for buns. Since then we have used Megazorb and it's good stuff and pretty cheap if you can find a supplier near you (see below). I know there are a few online suppliers, but the delivery charges can be quite high.

http://www.northerncropdriers.co.uk/stockists.htm

I can certainly still smell it when they've wee'd :).

Regarding digging out of the litter trays, one of our pairs used to do this so we put some meadow hay on top of the litter and they haven't done it since. May be worth a try.

I use the wood pellet litter, i thought it was ok to use....i know it goes into a pulp when wet, but i dont really find it dusty at all.

I use Yesterday's News. Its a compressed newspaper (into pellet form) and it doesn't get dusty. It also doesn't contain any scents, as scented litter has been reported to cause liver problems in bunnies. Yesterday's News is really safe and i have been using it for years. Most vets should be able to get it in for you thru their wholesalers

Back