• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Shops

silverfox

Warren Scout
:shock:What is it about some pets shops, I went into a few saturday. I was looking for rabbit toys for my new addition. Anyway one of the shops had a couple of rabbits in the smallest of cages possible. I loved a little black and white one, but there was a sign up that the rabbit was £20 and you could not buy it unless you bought a hutch over £100. Are these people in it just for the money, all I could see was a lovely little rabbit in a small cage and birds stored on top of the cage :evil:. I wanted to rescue her there and then but they would'nt let me take her without a hutch, even after I told them I have 3 hutches and an indoor cage.

:censored: These people are disgusting. I know not all pet shops are like this but surely making money over keeping animals happy is the wrong way to go about it.

:shock:What is it about some pets shops, I went into a few saturday. I was looking for rabbit toys for my new addition. Anyway one of the shops had a couple of rabbits in the smallest of cages possible. I loved a little black and white one, but there was a sign up that the rabbit was £20 and you could not buy it unless you bought a hutch over £100. Are these people in it just for the money, all I could see was a lovely little rabbit in a small cage and birds stored on top of the cage :evil:. I wanted to rescue her there and then but they would'nt let me take her without a hutch, even after I told them I have 3 hutches and an indoor cage.

:censored: These people are disgusting. I know not all pet shops are like this but surely making money over keeping animals happy is the wrong way to go about it.

I can see your point although its not rescuing her when she resides in a pet shop... its simply making way for more breeding stock.

likelyhood is tho, as much as yes, its wrong to force people to buy a hutch at same time... the hutch should be of reasonable size at that price therefore better than those who go in and take the rabbit home to life in a 3ft hutch.

maybe they should be less stringent, but although the conditions you describe may be dire, they want the rabbit to have a decent hutch...

but how big was this hutch for £100? to be honest i think its a good idea, although maybe £100 isnt the right way to say it, it should be worded like 'can only be purchased with suitable accomodation' for example, rather than the money factor.

but at least its stopping people buying on a whim or buying small cages :)

but how big was this hutch for £100? to be honest i think its a good idea, although maybe £100 isnt the right way to say it, it should be worded like 'can only be purchased with suitable accomodation' for example, rather than the money factor.

but at least its stopping people buying on a whim or buying small cages :)

Agree with this. I think it's a good idea if the accomodation they are selling with the bun is a decent size. I think all pet shops should start doing this and maybe it will open the publics eyes a lil bit. :)

exactly... for all the petshop knows you might only have small hutches... im not sayin you do at all cus ive never seen your set up... but thats why the petshop is being like this.

I would'nt buy the £100 hutch, it is a single hutch with the run underneath. I have that size but only for my guinea's. I think it's about 3ft. My other rabbits are all in larger hutches than that, with second floors and runs.

To me, they were just after the money. They also wanted to charge an extra £20 to put it together for me, I told them that me or my partner could do that. They still wanted to charge for putting it together, oh and for delivery which was another £10, as I was just slightly outside of what they said was a 3 mile zone.

I would need a bank loan. In future I am going to keep looking at rescues, I dont seem to have this problem.

I would'nt buy the £100 hutch, it is a single hutch with the run underneath. I have that size but only for my guinea's. I think it's about 3ft. My other rabbits are all in larger hutches than that, with second floors and runs.

To me, they were just after the money. They also wanted to charge an extra £20 to put it together for me, I told them that me or my partner could do that. They still wanted to charge for putting it together, oh and for delivery which was another £10, as I was just slightly outside of what they said was a 3 mile zone.

I would need a bank loan. In future I am going to keep looking at rescues, I dont seem to have this problem.

oh then i take back what i said! if it was like a 5-6 foot hutch i could see their point but thats just money grabbing :shock:

Back