• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you give your bun regular water, filtered water, spring water, or boil water?

What kind of water do you give to your bun?

• tap water

Votes: 81 91.0%
  • filtered water

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • spring water

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • boiled water (given after it's cooled off)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Inspire by BevBunny's thread on calcium in water, do you guys just give your bun:

tap water
filtered water
spring water
or
boil water (cool off by room temperature or fridge)

please vote

I tend to give mine filtered water.The only reason is my fridge/freezer is nearer the door so handy to fill a jug up.They have had tap water and been fine:D

Filtered and boiled here! Paranoid much?! :oops::lol: Seriously though, the main reason for the boiled is because she likes it nice and warm. :)

I generally give my lot tap, I drink the tap water, so I know it tastes OK.

If it's cold in the winter, I will give them warm, boiled water, I think they like it.

Those so-called filtered water, it looks like a big mechanical thing sitting at the joint. What does it really filter? And how? And does it really works?

It is a Brita jug filter I use. Just gets rid of the excess minerals really - our water here is the hardest of anywhere I've ever visited/lived.

My reply would be all of them depending on bun!!! Some have no problem at all with tap water.

However looking into the technical specification of water jug filters it does appear that they do not filter much (and in some cases none) of the calcium.

Calcium appears only to be filtered by the reverse osmosis biggie filters (5 tanks under the sink!!).

Even the 'electronic limescale whole house' filters only work by sort of electronically jiggling the calcum back INTO the water so it does not settle out as scale.

I used to boil AND filter Teasals water - thinking that got rid of calcium - but then I kept finding loads of calcium settled in the bottom of the jug that we collected his boiled water in??? So what does that mean??!!!

Wish I had trained as a water chemist (and a vet!!)

By the way - anyone know what happens to calcium with RAINWATER???? (I happen to have a lot of it this summer!!)

I used to boil AND filter Teasals water - thinking that got rid of calcium - but then I kept finding loads of calcium settled in the bottom of the jug that we collected his boiled water in??? So what does that mean??!!!

Yes, I find the same. Although the jug filter does get rid of some - I can tell that by the taste of the water and the state of the kettle!

Inspire by BevBunny's thread on calcium in water

I've looked for this and can't find it :?

Is calcium in water a problem?

I just use tap water. I'm not in a hard water area so doubt it's particularly bad but would use whatever water's best for them.... if I knew any different ....

If you're not in a hard water area, I wouldn't worry about filtering. It's so bad here that I have to change the filter every 2 weeks (very expensive!)

I just use tap water, i've never really thought to give them different water..hope its not gonna cause them any problem :?

I use tap water.
When we were doing our kitchen, we didn't have a tap and were using sainsbury's cheap bottled water and they drank much more!!

Mine get filtered water, as I read somewhere that they shouldn't have tap water - can't remember why now.

My degus also get filtered water as tap water is bad for them.

The outside buns have water from the rain butt.
Squidgy has cooled boiled water.

Back