• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jess's abscess is back.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Jess's abscess is back, I had her into the vet last Monday as we noticed her drooling, although there didn't apear to be much swelling. The vet says we caught it early and she is back on betamox. The vet suggested injecting her every second day, and said she would probably need 3 injections. She had a 4th one on Sunday and seems much brighter, eating well, the drooling has stopped and there is no obvious swelling. What do you think, should I give her another week of injections or do you think the abscess is safe to leave now.
The last abscess she had was under her tongue and she was on injections for 7 weeks.

I use ceporex when my buns have abscesses.Its a very good drug for penetrating tissue and bone..Barlie was on it for four months.Willow and Honey had the startings of Abscesses about two months ago and I gave them both a six week course,injecting twice daily.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody. Maizey, betamox is a long acting penicillin antibiotic, so I guess its action is similar to ceporex. It certainly cleared up the abscess last time, do you think I should give her the antibiotic for a good bit longer then, I have the bottle home with me and a supply of needles.
Honestly if anybody saw my coffee jar full of used needles they would think I had a serious problem. This weekend alone I've done Jess twice, injected all the sheep with wormer (10), given a chicken 2 for a respiratory problem and Smokey had one today and will be given one daily for the rest of the week as it looks like he has picked up a secondary infection, complicating his breathing problems. I will also need to worm the goats this week, thats another 11. The vets get a fright when I hand them all in for disposal.:lol:

If it safe to keep using the betamox,then I would say yes to keep her on It for another week.Just to make sure that you have knocked the bacteria on the head which is causing the abscess.Ive still got a bag full of needles down stairs from the last lot of antibiotics.Good luck with your bun

Thanks Maizey, will do her this week and see how she goes. She was really bright yesterday, but is a bit more subdued today, didn't go straight into her food, so I gave her some metacam and some fibreplex, and she did have a nibble on some grated carrot and grass. Hopefully she'll pick up again, I can't feel any swelling. I hope it clears up.
It all happens at once doesn't it, Smokey isn't looking too good this week. He has a resipiratory problem, don't know if its asthma or damage to his lungs from a chronoic infection ( rescue bun). He is losing more weight and his breathing was awful yesterday. He is on an inhaler and I will give him baytril injections for the rest of the week, his breathing is better today again, but I have a feeling we are starting to lose the battle, he's still feisty but so thin.:(

I'm sorry to hear about Smokey.I didn't find baytril very effective when I have had buns with respiratory problems.I found as soon as I stopped using It the symptoms would return.Jacks Jane has got a bun with chronic respiratory probs which she rescued from horrendous conditions.may be It would be worth giving her a Pm and ask what she thinks would be the best course of action with Smokey.I really hope Jess gets better.

Last edited:
Back