• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trancing...found somethin..

Etha

Young Bun
So I tranced my bun just a few seconds ago (Did NOT know you could do that. Makes things soooo much easier) and I was checking his belly and claws and everything and then I noticed under his mouth this is something wet and sticky that has matted down his fur...only problem is I couldn't keep him under long enough to see what it was..he always jerks out before I can tip his chin up =\

He's always so good about keeping clean and I don't see how he could get something under there but I don't want to pick at it and have it be like a scab or something 0___o

My one boy bunny is the same. ^^ First time I felt it I figured he'd got something sticky on his chin.. a few weeks later I panicked slightly wondering what the heck was wrong with him... But then I learnt there's a scent gland there.

Ooh, I was so happy when I learned how to trance my bunnies, it even works on my big scary black monster (wesley)! Makes cutting claws a much less traumatic experience for all of us! :lol:

I can trance Gregory now, but there's no way I could cut his claws on my own. Useful for looking at his botty though! He also has a mucky chin, and there's a bald patch on his neck as well!

You sort of flip them upside down - I pick Gregory up then turn him over and cradle him. It took a bit of practice for me to be able to do it, but it's the only way I can ever get him still! Sure someone else will be able to describe it more clearly than I have! x

Ahh yes I do remember reading about those glands. Thats probably what is it then.

And that video is great, btw. I do it differently though. I tilt my knees downward and it takes him a while to fade out, covering his eyes help as well.

If the legs start to shake just hold them for a second and they'll stop.

I'd also like to point out that this really isn't "relaxation" to be precise, but more of an instinct....rabbits do this when they are being attacked by a predator, to seem as if they were dead. So that when they are dropped or loosened they can take off. Thats why when taken out of the trance they can have a sudden busrt of energy.

However, under no circumstances should anyone try to do this with a rabbit that just can't stand to be on its back...too much risk of injuring their back.

And there was a little lesson on trancing hahaha :lol:

Yup, probably the scent gland. I hate when you see a tranced bunny looking like it's being all cute. There were some on planets funniest animals the other day. It's so cheating. :lol:

I have always worried about trancing rabbits though, and I have heard some schools of thought that we should not do it as the rabbit is in fact rigid with fear when they zone out like that.
I am not so sure as they dont look too distressed when they get up, but that nagging worry that it may be distressing them stops me from doing it. I worry about everything though, hysterical bunny mummy that I am...:lol:

I'd also like to point out that this really isn't "relaxation" to be precise, but more of an instinct....rabbits do this when they are being attacked by a predator, to seem as if they were dead. So that when they are dropped or loosened they can take off. Thats why when taken out of the trance they can have a sudden busrt of energy.

That's what I've read too, so I'm not sure I want to try it. :? I'm lucky that Alfie seems to be pretty relaxed, and I can just cradle him (pretty much how the man was holding the bunny at the very beginning of the video) to check his bottom etc.

It also helps to cover their eyes. When I put him back my hand goes right over his eyes and he instantly trances out.

Dunno if I said that before or not lol too lazy to look XD

I have always worried about trancing rabbits though, and I have heard some schools of thought that we should not do it as the rabbit is in fact rigid with fear when they zone out like that.
I am not so sure as they dont look too distressed when they get up, but that nagging worry that it may be distressing them stops me from doing it. I worry about everything though, hysterical bunny mummy that I am...:lol:

You are 100% right, trancing is not a natural thing to do, the rabbit is rigid through fear and it absolutley terrified, don't be surprised if your rabbit suddenly drops dead with a heart attack!!, I'm serious, a rabbit is a prey animal for goodness sake and lying it on it's back it thinks it's going to be killed, can you imagine the fear for the rabbit. I would say that trancing is cruel and should never, ever be done as I do not condone cruelty for any animals

I too think it is cruel and would never do it. You really don't know how aware they are whilst in a trance.

Ooh thank you for that - I never knew. I'm sorry I posted that video now, I'll take it off. Thank goodness I have never done this to Gregory. Is it ok to cradle him to have a look underneath?

Back