• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would this mesh be ok to use for a rabbit run??

I got mine from B@Q it was a roll of Aviary Mesh i think it was 24 pound for the roll and it did my 4ftx3ftx5ft run and it was galvanised so it wont go rusty , but i dont leave my buns out all night i lock them up when it starts to get dark :)

On my run, Rabbit Proof Wire has been used, You can get it at Garden Centeres, and it is extremly strong, we were trying to cut the spare wire, and the only thing strong enough was an electric saw.
Jack:)

yeah i really wanted to get it tomorrow so i need to get it from B&Q or wickes or somewhere similar. If i get it from B&Q ive got a 20% discount card :lol: The one i wanted to get was this from Wickes:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wire-Fencing/Cage-and-Aviary-Mesh/invt/187732

Dad says this isnt good enough :(

We bought some around a year ago, which is really good quality, we got it from B&Q but when you go in there you cant actually see the mesh open to see the quality :?

Last edited:
Weld mesh is better than netting/chicken wire. It's stronger and it also looks better. Chicken wire tends to lose its shape a bow out where as weld mesh stays flat and neat looking.

Tam

Also have proof that rabbits can chew through chicken wire if they are determined - we have a giant hay rack which had chicken wire and the bunnies made extra munchy holes in it!

I have found that chicken wire or netting is really weak compared to weld mesh (squares or rectangles) - it's a lot easier to chew through and lots easier to pull apart - I'd always go for weld mesh :)

yeah i really wanted to get it tomorrow so i need to get it from B&Q or wickes or somewhere similar. If i get it from B&Q ive got a 20% discount card :lol: The one i wanted to get was this from Wickes:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wire-Fencing/Cage-and-Aviary-Mesh/invt/187732

Dad says this isnt good enough :(

We bought some around a year ago, which is really good quality, we got it from B&Q but when you go in there you cant actually see the mesh open to see the quality :?

That looks like the right kind of stuff to me. better than the first one you posted, that looked like chicken wire which is too weak.
I have one run made from chicken wire but the buns only are ever put in it when I'm home and keeping an eye on them as its just not bunny or fox proof etc. Actually come to think of it I just bought an enourmous 30m roll of galvanised wire mesh from ebay for the aviary I'm building, I think if I have spare I'll replace the chicken wire on this run. Thanks for the idea!!! :lol: If I hadn't of written this i wouldnt have thought!!

The 1 you have just posted is galvanised aviary mesh in rectangles i have that on my run an its a good mesh but i dont leave my bunnys out all night they get locked up when it starts to get dark as we have foxes round here :)

Back