• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i need some advice

hey im new to this site and well my friends say its a god site but i need some help with a few problems im having so here goes my little lop eared bunny floppy has started to grunt when i go near her and sort of goes for your hand when i go to put her out in the run and she didnt do it before :? also i have a baby male bunny now im hopeing to be able to mate him when he gets older but the problem is when i put floppy or patch which are my two females anywhee near anything else animal wise with the bunny or my guineapigs they fight or try and hurt everything how can i get them to get on i thought she would like being with a male . ????????? thanks allot i much appreciate any help or sugestions u may have

Hi. It's probably her hormones kicking in which are making her grumpy.
Why did you want to mate them? It's prob best if you got them both neutered and then got some help from here with bonding so that they can live happily together.
Have you any pics???

well floppy apparently is sexually fustrated according to my vet she is pulling her fur out and her roomies fur out so i thought i would mate them as i can never have to many bunnys i have lots 36 at the moment i rescue them from centers and if people abandon them so i just end up with lots :D but its a natraual thing for rabbits to do is mate so i thought i would let floppy carry on she goes round humping everything she can find except the male which is odd .:? but now she has gone down hill compleatly and just grunts and groans when u go near her in her hut she is ok when being picked up outside though i think she is about 6 months old not quiet shore as i found her she was in a box in a bus shelter so i took her home she was about 5 weeks when i found her tiny little thing and now she is huge lol but she just doesnt seem happy and if she isnt happy im not happy

Did the vet suggest neutering? If she is 6months, then she probably needs doing, not mating as could make her aggression worse. I had a grumpy rabbit when I was younger who had an accidental litter, then afterwards she was renamed Godzilla as she was a monster!! (A very cute one though!!)

I wouldn't mate! The best thing to do is to Neuter both bunnies, and bon them so they can live happily together!

Please, even though you say you can't have too many bunnies, don't mate, as this will cause distress etc, to the buns, who is she is only 6 Months old, maybe can't cope with rearing baby bunnies.
Jack:)

She is fustrated because of hormones and having a litter wont help her at all down the line as it will happen again, having babies wont remove the hormones . Having her spayed will stop her nest building and should calm her down. She can also have a friend then. There are so many unwanted rabbits , please dont breed more:)

As others have said, she is probably horomonal. The best thing to do would be to have her spayed, and also your male neutered once hes old enough and allow them to live happily together, if she lets down her defensive side lol.

xx

She will be a lot easier to handle and more placid with another rabbit if she's been spayed. I had a bun who as incredibly frustrated, angry, but anyone who came near, and after she was spayed she was a really happy, relaxed animal who got on well with her rabbit "husband".

I appreciate that it seems like a rabbit would "want" to breed but imagine if we let EVERY animal have one litter - then each of the babies would have to haev one litter - and so on, the world would be overrun. You sound like someone who cares about animals and if you have space for lots it would be kinder to offer homes to those already in rescue, rather than creating even more babies. Remember also that you don't know the genetic background of your bun so she could be carrying hidden medical problems which she could pass on to her babies.

Here is a good page of info:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp

Heylo,
I had a lop called Floppy with a similar story, weird eh? She was found by my uncle at the side of the road, we put up posters etc and ads in the paper but nobody claimed her so I took her in. She was difficult to handle at first she pretty much let me put food in for her change her water bottle and that was it she'd make the most horrendous growling noise if ever I tried to touch her even if my hand accidentally brushed her. The long and short of it is after a couple of years (I told you she was tough) she was the complete opposite, socialable and loved to be picked up and handled. However she hated our other female rabbit and was clearly unhappy when she was around even if she couldn't see her. Maybe it's the other female rabbit being near her she doesn't like?
I agree with the others that have replied, either keep her on her own and encourage her to turn out like my Floppy did or have her neutered. There are plenty of bunnies already in the world who do not have loving homes, if you really need more why not go to a rescue home? Taking in a stray/unwanted bunny can be just as rewarding as rearing a baby as I'm sure you know. Please think carefully before breeding.

rabbits USusually grunt when they're angry or warning you, so she might be telling you to "back off" when she grunts at you (there are excepetions thoughh, my rabbit grunts in succession sometimes when he thinks i'm not paying him enough attention, it all depends on the rabbits body language really)
You should really get both rabbits spayed/castrated ASAP really, and bonding both rabbits can take a long time so be prepared, and you might have to wait a few weeks after getting then neutured since it takes times for the hormones to die down.

there's some good online sites with bonding techniques, but best get the spaying/etc sorted first.

hey im new to this site and well my friends say its a god site but i need some help with a few problems im having so here goes my little lop eared bunny floppy has started to grunt when i go near her and sort of goes for your hand when i go to put her out in the run and she didnt do it before :? also i have a baby male bunny now im hopeing to be able to mate him when he gets older but the problem is when i put floppy or patch which are my two females anywhee near anything else animal wise with the bunny or my guineapigs they fight or try and hurt everything how can i get them to get on i thought she would like being with a male . ????????? thanks allot i much appreciate any help or sugestions u may have
Describing it as a "God" site may be pushing it a bit... it's good, but not that good. ;).
May I suggest a little punctuation / grammar in your posts? It will make them easier to read and as a result, more people may be able to help you.

Back