• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best surface for outside run??

katyandben

New Kit
We have two female rabbits, who have a two tier hutch which is stood in a run which measures 8ft X 4ft and 2ft high.

We had to line the underside of the run with chicken wire when they continued to escape and then laid turf on top and let it grow into the ground, thus providing a secure run but still with nice grass to play on and eat.

However most of the grass has been eaten and is just mud now.

What im getting at is , is this surface still suitable for them to play on?? i have noticed that some people have thier runs on bare concrete/patio

could anybody help please??? :wave:

i will try and post pictures soon

hi,
my run is on a patio, but i will be putting a large container with soil and turf for the rabbits to dig away in safety but not mess up the run too much

I would have thought grass would be the best surface to put your buns on.If your buns get sore hocks then patio slabs/concrete can be very abbrasive on their paws.

I would have thought grass would be the best surface to put your buns on.If your buns get sore hocks then patio slabs/concrete can be very abbrasive on their paws.

I don't have a choice i'm afraid. If I put them on grass I would never see Penny again. She'd be in Australia!

They are only in their run a couple of hours a day and then they have free range of the garden when I can supervise and in their summer house they have carpet.

like i said it was fresh turf, really thick and it started to take root through the chicken wire,, now it is mostly mud and the wire is exposed but they cant put thier paws/feet through it. i will most probably put more turf down. i would like to seed it but they are out everyday

I'm not having a Go at any one.Ive got Continental giants.Barlie has only got three legs and her remaining font paw is now through to skin and Willow has developed a sore on his back paw.I was advised not to let them go on any abrasive surfaces.Emm-Jane76 when Barlie had all four limbs she used to burrow for England.I was hoping she would dig a tunnel to Australia so I could have a cheap holiday:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:Also my buns are free range so Its a bit hard to monitor where they are in the garden as I have grass,patio,decking and gravel paths.

i went with the patio as thats all we have but as i said i will be having a large container of mud and turf to mimic a more natural area, i know its not ideal but im trying my best for them xx

I have a similar problem, mine are out all day everyday I just shut them in the hutch at night time. They don't eat the grass particularly but love to dig it. I know this is natural so I don't mind them doing it. What I do is buy the cheapest grass seed I can find and while it's growing move them onto slabs, then back onto the grass and so on and so forth. Not the best solution but it seems to work for us. Also it keeps their nails down.

Back