• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How come some rabbits GRUNT?

Stalvros

Warren Scout
A friend of mine brought his rabbit
to my house just to play around with
my rabbit
(Its the one in the middle)

dscf0058kw6.jpg

How come she can GRUNT?
Like....
when i try to touch her.... GRUNT.
when carpet tried to lie beside her.... GRUNT GRUNT.
when marble tried to sniff her.... GRUNT GRUNT GRUNT.

Where does the sound come from?
I thought rabbits are supposed to be quiet
cute creatures? XD

It's quite often hormonal and/or territorial. My Bella was a champion grunter before I had her spayed - I'd try and feed her and she'd grunt, I'd open the cage to get her out and she'd grunt, she'd run round the house grunting.

She still grunts when she thinks I'm taking too long to put her food down in the morning, and will grunt if I try and stroke her when she's eating something nice and doesn't want to be disturbed.

Is your friend's rabbit spayed? If not, I'd say it's definitely hormonal, and likely to get worse if she's still a young rabbit. Bella got to the point where she was pretty much unhandleable and I couldn't put my hand in her cage without being attacked - it's pretty scarey having a rabbit lunging at you and grunting :shock: :lol: :lol:

yeah i dont think its sprayed~
i loled at your comment about 'champion grunter' XD

its only for female right?
Not sure if its a young rabbit but i think my friend
said 1 year plus.

As you can see, she's the bigger of the 3~
Carpet and marble's only about 5-6 months old~
I got my finger bitten once to be honest -_-.
Also, i think she bit marble once~
(Now seems to be ok)
(I know that female rabbits can fight if not introduced properly)

Not so sure what this really was so I went to good ole youtube and found some vids 8D I've never heard a rabbit grunt before but it sure doesn't sound very attractive 0_o

Your friends bunny looks very much like my rabbit Poppy. She used to be terrible for grunting and squeaking and sounded like a guinea pig.

She has calmed down a lot over the past few months and I have just had her spayed so will be interesting to see if this calms her down a bit as shes a very nervous bunny.

Your two are very cute.

It's quite often hormonal and/or territorial. My Bella was a champion grunter before I had her spayed - I'd try and feed her and she'd grunt, I'd open the cage to get her out and she'd grunt, she'd run round the house grunting.

She still grunts when she thinks I'm taking too long to put her food down in the morning, and will grunt if I try and stroke her when she's eating something nice and doesn't want to be disturbed.

Is your friend's rabbit spayed? If not, I'd say it's definitely hormonal, and likely to get worse if she's still a young rabbit. Bella got to the point where she was pretty much unhandleable and I couldn't put my hand in her cage without being attacked - it's pretty scarey having a rabbit lunging at you and grunting :shock: :lol: :lol:
I wonder if its Lionheads;)

:shock::lol::lol: Youve just described my lionhead Poppy:roll:, theres nothing more she loves to do than Grunt,:lol:

rabbits can grunt when annoyed. Usually when unspayed and you or another rabbit are invading their space. Putting two rabbits together for play time is not recomended as they are quite terretorial and can fight...especially if unspayed (although I have to admit that those 3 look very happy). It can also cause fighting between two already bonded rabbits as the bond may become unsettled. "Playtime" and bonding can lead to vet treatment for the bunneys concerned & hospital for the owner. A friend who was trying to bond two giants ended up with 12 stiches when he tried to break up a fight.

Before Rosie in my siggi was spayed she used to grunt...then lunge and box me. Cute in such a small rabbit but not in something larger & if she progressed to biting....quite nasty.

My best recomendation to you and your friend is for him to get his rabbit spayed and then get her her own boyfriend. Let your rabbit enjoy each others company and leave it at that.

Back