• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need advice please help!

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
obiously with duchess passing it has left teegra as a single bun. i would quite like to get another bun for him to be bonded with as i think he was happier. i would get another rescue, however am having trouble persuading my dad. i think he thinks i only want one for me and doesnt realise it could affect teegs. so far he seems alright although he does seem to be even shyer today hiding totally away from me (he used to run with duchess to the door (she was always in the lead but he was always right there behind her) now only something tasty has a chance of tempting him out. i thought he would be ok but i am worried as i know buns can go down quickly. he is still eating and pooping although he did refuse food 2-3 times today (although it might be becasue i am so worried incase he stops eating i am in there every 5 mins shoving something else in for him to eat :oops:) he even refused a nibble of his fave parsley bell :( he has still eaten some hay, veg and a few little pellets today although the veg he ate over a few hours instead of within minutes. if i honestly though he would be 100% happy as a single bun i would leave him as a single bun, i was/am also tempted to maybe re rabbit proof my bedroom so he can move back in although that will mean sacrificing the dogs sleeping in my room :( if i did that though i think i would have him 24 hour free range instead of day time free range. it wouldnt be as easy as the rabbit room but he would get more company (or if he did get a girly friend they could still stay with me)

i really dont know what would be best it is so confusing! please help i need some advice, any advice i am at a total loss as to what to do :( :( :(

I don't want to advise either way, but I have 2 buns who lost their partners this year. Jessica was not the same after Fudge died, she didn't groom herself as well and was just grumpier. Snowy lost Bertha and just lost his sparkle. I have bonded these 2 along with Jess, who has been a single bun for the 4 years of her life (before we got her). They are now a happy group again (got Jessica spayed and Jess was already done, Snowy was already castrated) and they all back to their normal selves. Snowy now runs up to the front of the run to see you and Jessica has started moving around again, after Fudge died she just tended to sit in the same spot, no even going into a corner to toilet. For my lot it was the best choice.:D

My rabbit Bitsy just lost the other half of her bonded pair. We've been slowly trying to introduce her to another bunny we own in hopes of bonding them, but it's been slow-going.

In the meantime, we placed a rabbit-sized stuffed animal bunny (that looks relatively natural) in the pen with her. We've caught her snuggling up to it and grooming it, and she's seemed to perked up a bit since her lover passed.

Try that and don't forget to give her lots and lots of love. Animals all grieve differently.

Back