• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis/ colic bunnies

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Claude keeps getting these gassy, colic tummy any ideas why this keeps happening? Im going on my hols soon im dreading leaving him:(

Last edited:
Claude keeps getting these gassy, colic tummy any ideas why this keeps happening? Im going on my hols soon im dreading leaving him:(

Has anything changed recently to upset him

Has he always had a tendency to suffer from gastric problems

Do you feed him veg and if so what

Do you give him any probiotics

sorry my question mark key isn't working :oops::lol:

Has anything changed recently to upset him

Has he always had a tendency to suffer from gastric problems

Do you feed him veg and if so what

Do you give him any probiotics

sorry my question mark key isn't working :oops::lol:

He started at 9 months old and had it on and off several times,having to go to the vets 5 times for treatment other times ive just treated at home with infacol
The only veg he can have is carrots, spring greens, celery and apple,he cant have cabbage or brocili ,also he can not go on grass
They sometimes have probiotics

He started at 9 months old and had it on and off several times,having to go to the vets 5 times for treatment other times ive just treated at home with infacol
The only veg he can have is carrots, spring greens, celery and apple,he cant have cabbage or brocili ,also he can not go on grass
They sometimes have probiotics

It could be an inherent problem then. Have they been wormed....
I have a bunny who has the same problem and we believe her to be genetically predisposed to gastro intestinal problems. I find it helps to keep things like metoclop, zantac and metacam in. If she appears to be having an episode I get meds into her quickly and it nips it in the bud. Coincidentally she has also had pinworm on three occassions that I know of. She came to me at 6 weeks old with them, has been on panacur three times yet it seems to be making no difference. Vets say that the worms don't do any harm, but I'm inclined to believe that they are a result of her her poor guts. I think she has low resistance to them.

I would also avoid feeding sugary foods like carrot and apple if Claude is prone to a poorly tum.

My Smokey is very prone to GI Stasis, her brother died at 5 months old from a gastric problem, so I think it could be genetic.

I feed my two a tablespoon of Russel Rabbit (Smokey does not seem to tolerate any kind of pellets for more then a couple of weeks), split into two meals a day, tonnes of hay and a good handful of veg spread into 4 meals. This regime seems to cause the least amount of problems for us. They also have probiotics everyday and a papaya tablet ot help with furballs.

When I notice Smokey starting to hunch up, I try to ply her with her favourite foods first and get her to move about. If this doesn't work, I give her Infacol and cooled boiled water with pinch of Recovery Formula in it, I also put in a heatpad to help keep her temperature stable. If this hasn't brought any positive results within about 90 minutes, I take her to the vets (they're quite used to us turning up at 6.50pm for the usual injections!).

He had anti acid tablets, he had them for about six weeks I think, it was quite a while, we haven't ad problems since (touch wood)

JUst reading through my old thread to remember what happened, Kovu had xrays when he had one of his episodes he had a soft tissue mass, which could of been a tomour, but when he was xrayed normally he didn't have it, could you have an xray when he is ill? The soft tissue mass wasn't a tomour but the wall of his guts inflamed and that was what teh ulcer was doing.

Losts of vibes for him hun :love:

It could be an inherent problem then. Have they been wormed....
I have a bunny who has the same problem and we believe her to be genetically predisposed to gastro intestinal problems. I find it helps to keep things like metoclop, zantac and metacam in. If she appears to be having an episode I get meds into her quickly and it nips it in the bud. Coincidentally she has also had pinworm on three occassions that I know of. She came to me at 6 weeks old with them, has been on panacur three times yet it seems to be making no difference. Vets say that the worms don't do any harm, but I'm inclined to believe that they are a result of her her poor guts. I think she has low resistance to them.

I would also avoid feeding sugary foods like carrot and apple if Claude is prone to a poorly tum.

Ive never wormed any of mine,how do they catch worms?

He had anti acid tablets, he had them for about six weeks I think, it was quite a while, we haven't ad problems since (touch wood)

What did he have medication wise? the vet has only given me zantac,but only to be given if hes gassy again,Is it worth using this daily anyway?

He was on Cimetidine for weeks, I am sure it was about six weeks, although I just asked Bryn and he said it was about a month, he had a quarter a night, pain in the ass it was as it had to be crushed up. I think zantac is the same and easier to give (Pippin is on it at the minute), but to clear an ulcer I think it has to be given over a long time rather than when the illness occurs, as everytime Kovu came off the meds he would bloat again, once he was on the tablets he just kept getting better and better and he's not had it since.

Suz off Tufty said this to me
Hi Tree, I lost my bunny to stasis last year (long story, see Tufty for details) and whenever I read about this topic, I always feel I have to share what I know. Millie was prone to bloat and stasis, despite being on the exact same diet, regime etc as my other five. Like you, I follow an emergency plan whenever I see the first symptoms of stasis, and usually this worked with Millie, but her last attack was very severe and started through the night so I didn't catch her early enough. She ended up having two trips to the vet, for fluids and metaclopramide, but then ended up at the emergency vets who operated. I was devastated when she died.

So, the lesson learned - she was found to have septacemia when they opened her up, which (having talked with my usual vet) may have been because her tummy burst. It was suggested to me that Millie may have had some sort of inflammation, or an ulcer, which was aggravating her tummy now and again, thus causing stasis and bloat. I was gutted to find out that had this been diagnosed earlier (perhaps thorugh an x-ray as you had for your boy) then she could have been treated with Zantac syrup rather than metaclop. Maybe this still wouldn't have save dher but it would have been nice to be able to try. Zantac apparently has a similar effect to metaclop, although acts in a different way, and would have helped her had she had an ulcer/inflammation. Reuben, one of my gang, has taken over where Millie left off, and has had about 4 attacks in the last 6 months - he, however, has been treated with Zantac and recovers well. Since his last course, he hasn't had an attack.

I know there are lots of diet-related discussions going along with stasis and bloat, but if you're at a loss at to what it might be because you've excluded everything that could cause bloat (broccoli, sugary fruits, kale etc), you've cut down significantly on pellets, they eat tonnes of hay (readigrass type grass can be a bit bloaty too apparently) etc, then I'd ask about Zantac syrup - its worth a try. If your vet wants to contact my vet then I'm sure she'd be fine with it. Judith Brown at First Vets 0191 2666286. Hope this helps...

I might ring the vets and find out if he can take it for a while everyday
He does seem to recover quickly after treatment but im worried about how often it keeps happening

Yeah Kovu use to get better, but the longer it went on the times he was better got shorter and shorter, it was like the meds wore off and he would start to get worse, untill he was just on meds constently just to keep him alive, he use to have to have these really strong painkillers not metacam, but they use to make him trip like he was on acid, he was in a right old state, to the point where as soon as the 24 hours would run out and the meds wore off he was bloating up again, it was horrid I do sympathise with what you're going through. When he was normal and xrayed nothing was there, but when he was ill xray there was soft tissue mass. The tablets deffo saved his life, I don;t think they do any damage on them either, no nasty side effects so it's worth a shot :D

Back