• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone know what kind of animal this is?

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
:lol::lol::lol: Bet you don't

Camping2008014.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: He DID look like a sack monster :lol: There was another one in with him and that one was hiding under a blanket :lol: a nice stripy soft baby blanket :love:

It was at Colchester Zoo. Have got some more animal pics that I'll post too on another thread

We went to Colchester Zoo about 3 years ago..one of the best zoos I've ever been in..all the animals had huge and interesting enclosures and looked contented:D

I think this is one of the saddest things I could look at :( Nothing will compare to the life they should be living, poor poor creatures sat there with people gawping at them.

I think this is one of the saddest things I could look at :( Nothing will compare to the life they should be living, poor poor creatures sat there with people gawping at them.
Actually as one of the most endangered species who in their natural habitat tragically have been hunted,shot and skinned to the edge of extinction.... until protection for them can be worked out..decent Zoos with breeding programs are the only way to keep the species going until their wild, safe havens can be ensured....so sad as it is, this is one safe orangutan..and I'm not a fan of zoos..but as said in my earlier post..Colchester is one of the best..lots of enviroment enrichment..

Actually as one of the most endangered species who in their natural habitat tragically have been hunted,shot and skinned to the edge of extinction.... until protection for them can be worked out..decent Zoos with breeding programs are the only way to keep the species going until their wild, safe havens can be ensured....so sad as it is, this is one safe orangutan..and I'm not a fan of zoos..but as said in my earlier post..Colchester is one of the best..lots of enviroment enrichment..

Completely agree....

Not a fan of zoo's, but I wholly agree with them on the conservation aspect.

Excellent post :thumb:

Exactly, same with Tigers and Elephants etc. They are on the verge of Extinction.:)
Jack x

I dislike the thought of animals being caged up when they should be running free BUT I do understand the need for the 'displaying' of these animals to educate people about them and the importance of protecting the animial AND it's natural habitat. I am also fully aware that without the contributions from fee paying visitors to these zoos, the fanatastic breeding programmes that they carry out would not be able to take place.

Oh and just for you info Lucy, Colchester zoo actually breeds to release to the wild in one of their own sponsored wildlife reserves.

http://www.umphafa.co.uk/

So as much as I agree with the saddness of these animals being 'gawped' at I also understand the need to do it to protect them.

Back