• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Orphaned Kits- *URGENT ADVICE NEEDED*

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Long story short- just been asked to 'take a look at an ill Rabbit'
Doe with Flystrike, nursing 5 Kits aged about 7 days. Doe passed away as I picked her up to take her to Vet.
Second Doe- Litter of 4 kits, about 2 weeks old. Would she accept the 5 x week old kits too?
Should I attempt hand rearing instead?
Is the risk of disease transfer too great to risk putting orphaned kits with surrogate mother ?

HELP PLEASE !!

:cry:

Last edited:
The litters are 7days and two weeks? Yes, she might accept them. Nine kits is a fairly bit litter but she should be able to cope. Just rub the new kits in the dirty litter and pop them on the bottom of the pile. As the 7 day old kits might be smaller and less able to compete if they don't get enough you might need to hold them to the mum to drink as well.

I think with big litters you can give them mum a bottle of lactol to help with milk production - I'll double check.

ARe the does from the same place - I would think any cross transmission would have already occurred so no extra risk.

Tam

Oh no im sorry Jane I have no advice. But I am sending all the vibes we can from our house to them.
(((((((()))))))
xxxxxx

Ok, thanks Tamsin.
Yes, they are from the same place ( they are still there )
I will go round now and do what you suggest re the orphans.

I think I remember giving Bobbie Goats Milk when she was lactating :?

Do you think their mum died from the fly strike?Its so hard trying to hand rear kits.If the other doe would accept them I think that would be the best option as she will be able to pass them antibodies and all the goodness they need through her milk.Then again it all depends on why you think their mother died in the first place.If she died of some thing contagious then the kits will already have it and you don't want them to pass it on to the other doe and kits.

Good luck, keep an eye on the doe for a bit afterwards and see how she reacts but I don't think they can count so as long as they smell similar then should be okay :) Even if they don't grow as fast they should catch up when they start on solids.

Yep, if you can get hold of goats milk that would be even better. You can just put it in a water bottle/bowl for her. Make sure she's got lots to eat in general too :)

Tam

OK, the orphans are now in with their surrogate family. I cleaned out the hutch that the surrogate Mum is in without disturbing the nest. I had to as the hutch was FILTHY and I was so concerned that surrogate Mum would fall victim to flystrike too. My hand must have wreaked of SM and I rubbed each orphan kit with some of SM's old bedding.

SM went into the nest area once she was returned to the hutch. I moved her well out of sight as I cleaned out. I hope I didnt do the wrong thing, but I just couldn't leave her in such a filthy wet hutch. I have put an old net curtain over the front of the hutch to try to keep the flies out.
SM seemed not to be concerned re the new arrivals. She came out of the nest area and started to eat the clean hay I'd put in.

I said to keep a close eye on her this evening, especially when she goes in to feed the babes. The owners are going out to a Party ( :roll: ) at 1000pm so I said I'd go round during the night to check on the Buns. I just hope the owners remember to leave the back gate open or I'll have to climb over the fence :? Knowing my luck someone will call the Police and I'll get arrested :roll:

Thanks for your help/support :)

OK, the orphans are now in with their surrogate family. I cleaned out the hutch that the surrogate Mum is in without disturbing the nest. I had to as the hutch was FILTHY and I was so concerned that surrogate Mum would fall victim to flystrike too. My hand must have wreaked of SM and I rubbed each orphan kit with some of SM's old bedding.

SM went into the nest area once she was returned to the hutch. I moved her well out of sight as I cleaned out. I hope I didnt do the wrong thing, but I just couldn't leave her in such a filthy wet hutch. I have put an old net curtain over the front of the hutch to try to keep the flies out.
SM seemed not to be concerned re the new arrivals. She came out of the nest area and started to eat the clean hay I'd put in.

I said to keep a close eye on her this evening, especially when she goes in to feed the babes. The owners are going out to a Party ( :roll: ) at 1000pm so I said I'd go round during the night to check on the Buns. I just hope the owners remember to leave the back gate open or I'll have to climb over the fence :? Knowing my luck someone will call the Police and I'll get arrested :roll:

Thanks for your help/support :)

oh god! jane how do these things always happen to you?!

well done for what you did, im sure cleaning the hutch out was the less of two evils, wouldnt want her getting fly strike!

well done, i hope the babies will be okay!

xxxx

Words fail me at times like this.. the owners are out at a party and happy to leave you with the **** to deal with.. what is wrong with the human race... good luck Jane

fingers crossed for you...I know you can do it with chickens although they all have to be the same colour as the already hatched chicks or it doesn't work.....I have no idea about bunnys.

Why are these people breeding their rabbits and then not giving a sh:censored: about their welfare.You are a darling Jane thank god you are there to help.Why do people get rabbits,Its seems to me a lot of people regard rabbits the same as toys.A five minute wonder then get bored.Sorry It just makes me sick to the core.

Yep, that all sounds fine :D It's okay to clean the rest of the hutch, mum won't care. Usually you'd be able to clean under the nest when the kits start running about around 2.5 weeks. If everything goes fine for the next few days you could clean under the nest if it's really dirty. Just sorta lift the edge (you can slide something under) then clean the smelly stuff from underneath and add more litter then put the nest back on top.

Just out of curiosity where's dad? Not to borrow trouble but is there any chance SM could be pregnant again?

Tam

OMG Jane what on earth do the owners think they are doing!!!! I'm thinking of you & all the bunsters, sending you loads of vibes, hugs & love to get you through this difficult time xxxx

Yep, that all sounds fine :D It's okay to clean the rest of the hutch, mum won't care. Usually you'd be able to clean under the nest when the kits start running about around 2.5 weeks. If everything goes fine for the next few days you could clean under the nest if it's really dirty. Just sorta lift the edge (you can slide something under) then clean the smelly stuff from underneath and add more litter then put the nest back on top.

Just out of curiosity where's dad? Not to borrow trouble but is there any chance SM could be pregnant again?

Tam

Dad is owners Sister's Rabbit. They wanted to let their two Does have babies so as the (human) children could see how baby Bunnies develop...........

My head hits brick wall............:roll:

Back