• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coughing Rabbit ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
For the last 4 weeks Danny has been on 2 different abx for what at first appeared to be an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. He was 'well within himself' just a bit sneezy and a bit of a snotty nose. However, although the sneezing stopped as did the nasal discharge he started sort of 'gagging'. Rather like a dog with kennel cough. The Vet has ruled out teeth trouble/lung trouble/infection. She has been unable to find any abnormalities on physical examination. Danny is still 'well within himself' and eating/pooing OK. But the coughing fits are getting more frequent :cry:
He is booked in for tests on Tuesday but I am wondering if anyone else has had a Rabbit with what I can only describe as 'a cough'

:?

I'm sure you've eliminated everything but could it be dust/allergy?

Inky has coughed (well it sounded like one) occasionally when he has buried his head in dusty hay before I've shaken it properly.

I'm sure you've eliminated everything but could it be dust/allergy?

Inky has coughed (well it sounded like one) occasionally when he has buried his head in dusty hay before I've shaken it properly.

I have had him on Benadryl and have tried to eliminate any obvious allergens :?
It really sounds as though he has something stuck in his throat, yet he doesn't cough all the time and he is eating perfectly normally.
It really is very odd :?

We've got a bun that does this as well. But he is also sneezy along with it.

Our vet couldnt' find anything either. Ended up on dust free hay and we also have to "spray" it down with a fine mist of water before giving it to him.

doing this means he is having the problem less frequently now.

Jane, if your vet finds anything let us know as I'll certainly be interested

Back