• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

catching and handling difficult bunny

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Alyssa was supposedly easy to handle but she seems to dislike it in my house.

whats the best way to catch her without her seeming like its a game?

obviously getting her used to being handled will be better for vets appt.

xxx

if you figure it out.. lemmi know alvin thinx its funny to run as soon as my hands go near him :lol::lol::lol::lol:

some of my lot do the catching game. sometimes anthony has to help me out.

others i bribe them with food lol.

x

shes 2, single and unspayed. we are getting her spayed when shes lost some tummy and has been vacc'd.

she will then be bonded.

I'll send my Rog round..he knows know fear and seems to be able to befriend most bunsters!!:lol::lol:

Okay my advice is..... and there will be people that disagree with me, fine.

I would bring her in as a house rabbit for a couple of weeks.

Tulip was a real nightmare when she came in. I bought her in the house for a month and it transformed her.

Start by limiting the space she is allowed and every time you go to let her out, greet her or get her back in have a yummy piece of broccili or similar.

Once I let her out I would adorn her with treats and then slowly usher her back.

That would be my advise, some intense one on one time with you.... you cold keep her in untill she had recovered from her op..

hth

That's a very good suggestion, actually!:D We found that our buns became more sociable when indoors as well and the change in attitude stayed even after they went back outside. Definitely woth a try:D

What sometimes works with bunnies is to throw a blanket or towel on them which should hopefully allow you to catch them with minimum stress. Though with my rabbits i tend to get them in a corner and grab them which trust me has taken years of perfection. Though some of my smarter bunnies know they're going to get caught and give up and return to their hutch. Bless them
Helen xx

she is an indoor bun. weve only had her since monday so fingers crossed.

but hilda, you and rog are welcome x

I have a "rabbit play tunnel" that I chase Lola into - then pick up the tunnel!

She loves a chase and can scratch when she doesnt win!

That's a very good suggestion, actually!:D We found that our buns became more sociable when indoors as well and the change in attitude stayed even after they went back outside. Definitely woth a try:D

Yep I found that too. Two of ours Lettice and Picollo were house buns for a time when they were younger. They live out now but they are much more friendl and snuggly than the others, and I guess it must have been their time inside that has made them so.

Good luck with Alyssa, hopefully she'll chill a bit more soon :D

it took time with mine, they used to actually love being chased by me because they knew how hard it was for me to catch them, the little ******* xD

But after both bunnies began to bond with me and trust me I found the perfect bribe food: raisins, both my rabbits go insane for raisins, they'll do anything for one. Firefly usually comes up to me when I offer to stroke him, then after i've stroked him I csn quickly grab him, if that doesn't work I'd hold out a raisin and both rabbits would come running.

But I think the best thing to do is spend time with the bunny to figure out the best way to catch her/get her to obey you.

But don't doubt the power of the mighty raisin :lol:

Back