• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

are spiders harmful to bunnies?

Zara

Mama Doe
My rabbits currently live outdoors, and no matter how clean my rabbits are and their hutches flies just seem to love them, so I was pretty pleased when I noticed normal garden spiders and house spiders making their webs on the rabbit run and even on the hutches to bring in their feasts :lol:

But I was wondering if spiders could hurt rabbits? I know they're harmless to us but I can't find any info on spiders and rabbits.

Oh and whilst I'm making this topic, any tips on how to minimize flies even more? I scrub the hutches twice a week with animal friendly disinfectant and shovel the rabbit poo out often but they keep coming :evil:

The only thing I know about spiders and bunnies is that their webs can hold the damp so it is best to remove spiders webs from hutches in winter :)

:wave:I made curtains out of mosquito net for the front of the hutch. We don't really get a lot of flies in our garden and my Mum says it's because I have lavendar plants round the hutch and run - I don't know if it is because of the plants.

Lavender is a very good fly repellant they dont like it , they dont like citronella either , i have a pot of lavender at the front of my hutch an touch wood dont see hardly any flies. :)

ive got lavender and mint round my outdoor hutches. i always clean out the spider webs, its the fliping earwigs i hate and the odd slug

I hope not as I get the odd spider living in hutches. I think they are an excellent flystrike prevention. Would be interested to hear if they are harmful other than of course what hugos there has said.

thanks for the tips, I don't think I'd use mosquito netting as my rabbits might pull it through the meshing and eat it at night :lol:

But I like the lavender plant idea, thanks!

snails and slugs learn not to bother my rabbits, last time Firefly saw a snail in the garden he picked it up by it's shell and tossed it :roll: poor snail.

Back