• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paving slabs...

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
So we began working on the garden, in order for the shed, We have removed a tree stump and a wall :lol:

So now we need to level it off and then the next question is how the hell do you lay paving slabs......?

make sure it's really level - then add a layer of builders sand, then pop the slabs on top. That's all we did for our shed and it was fine...

Thats all I do too but I put a little more sand under them as I can never get the ground exactly level so the sand helps me :oops:

you use a rubber hammer to help tap them level mind you my fella was laying the white and pink slabs and he broke four of them tapping them what was weird though it was only the white ones,

What and thats it?

Lol...WOW easy!!!

So i could do it myself? We all know how long it takes fellas....lol!

xx

Omg, If I did it, I would still be trying to do it next year!

Good Lck x x
Jack x

Lol! :lol: Typical male :p:lol:

Thanks. I plan on leveling it all off sunday! Then could get paving slabs too.

Do you not need cement or anything?

xx

You'll be better with a proper base (made out of concrete with a layer of hardcore underneath) if its a water-logged spot... or put some kind of moisture barrier underneath the slabs and sand.

You'll be better with a proper base (made out of concrete with a layer of hardcore underneath) if its a water-logged spot... or put some kind of moisture barrier underneath the slabs and sand.

Thats what i thought, as its currently soil...

Explain please :D:oops::oops:

Thats what i thought, as its currently soil...

Explain please :D:oops::oops:

Depends on how low lying your garden is, and what type of soil, etc. Mine gets very wet because it's next to (and pretty much on the same level as) the River Trent. Unfortunately we get lots of gnats and mozzies because of it :(

If your garden is like mine, then you're probably better off laying a proper base...I think you need to take the turf off and a few inches of soil...then put down a layer of hardcore (rubble and broken bricks, etc)...then build a wooden frame out of timber to hold the concrete whilst it sets...pour the concrete in and wait for it to set...then remove the wooden frame.

I *think* that's how you'd need to do it, but I'm not totally sure...I bet you'd find instructions on a DIY website :D

Depends on how low lying your garden is, and what type of soil, etc. Mine gets very wet because it's next to (and pretty much on the same level as) the River Trent. Unfortunately we get lots of gnats and mozzies because of it :(

If your garden is like mine, then you're probably better off laying a proper base...I think you need to take the turf off and a few inches of soil...then put down a layer of hardcore (rubble and broken bricks, etc)...then build a wooden frame out of timber to hold the concrete whilst it sets...pour the concrete in and wait for it to set...then remove the wooden frame.

I *think* that's how you'd need to do it, but I'm not totally sure...I bet you'd find instructions on a DIY website :D

Thanks alot. I will call on my dad for his advice.
We have a pretty wet garden as it runs down from the other gardens which are higher than ours.
We get a fair few flies about maybe this could be because of the wetness? never thought of it like that but makes sense now!

Back