• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what flowers are safe for bunnies?

AprilLynne

Warren Scout
One of my co-workers brought me a bag of cut flowers (petunias and begonians) for William to eat today! It was so nice of her! I wanted to check if these are alright for him to eat... she said wild rabbits in her yard love to nibble on them :)

Also, is there a potted houseplant that I could get for William to nibble at? Preferably something that smells/looks lovely and also grows quickly so he won't devour it all!!

I thought both of these flowers were toxic. If you look at a list, and the flowers are not on them, do not think that makes them safe. Lots of the toxicity lists vary. I would not feed them.

Definitely no to Begonia's. As for an indoor plant, I know it's not gorgeous to look at, but herbs in pots are ideal, or a grazing mix, so he can keep it clipped without killing it.:D

I personally wouldnt feed begonias or petunias....Ive not read owt against them it's just a hunch. I feed nasturtiums, roses and lavender.

You might be able to grow some chickweed inside in a pot, not sure though. it grows very fast and buns love it

Mine love nasturtiums.. they have pretty yellow, orange and red flowers (even humans can eat) and grow easily.. my problem this year is they are covered in caterpillers who are competing with the bunnies to eat the plants! Once you plant the seeds they come up every year :D

Mine love nasturtiums.. they have pretty yellow, orange and red flowers (even humans can eat) and grow easily.. my problem this year is they are covered in caterpillers who are competing with the bunnies to eat the plants! Once you plant the seeds they come up every year :D

also the seed heads are called poor mans capers you pickle them, usefull but useless fact id thought id share:oops:

SNAP! we are having exactly the same thing here! is there anyway to stop the caterpillars destroying them, which is safe for the bus?

SNAP! we are having exactly the same thing here! is there anyway to stop the caterpillars destroying them, which is safe for the bus?

They are a pain aren't they?:roll: Only really safe way is to hand pick them off. Derris has always been perceived as a safe and organic way to treat caterpillars which, if used on edible crops can be picked 24 hours later. However, Derris is due to be removed from the amateur market because there are concerns with it, so I would stick to just picking them off.

Marigold's look nice & are safe too! There's dried one's in Excel Herbage, which my three get so I thought I'd grow my own..silly me - no sooner do they start to flower & they're gone again :lol::lol:

Back