• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Saffy - possible e-cuniculi - advice please

Have been looking after Saffy for Gail for 2 days as she's been away. When I got there on Wednesday night I noticed that she was wet on her hind quarters. Gail said that for the past couple of days Saffy had been weeing on the floor a lot, but as she is not the best litter trained bunny in the world she thought nothing of it.

I gave Saffy a bath (she's a very fluffy lionhead) and she was eating well etc so I went to bed. The next morning she was wet again - at this point I thought it seemed odd, bathed her again and made sure she was eating and went to work. When I came home Saffy was wet again. By this point I was starting to worry as it seemed fairly obvious she wasnt just sitting in her own urine - I also notice that one of her tiny back legs was pointing inwards when she walked and when I picked her back up to inspect her she wasnt as feisty as usual.

I took her to the emergency vets who suspects e-cuniculi. She's given saffy steroid injection (she needs a couple more on sat and mon) and she's given both saffy and edina panacur. I left saffy & eddy overnight at the vets as I've asked the nurse to clip saffy so its easier to keep her clean while she is incontinent (and gail was still away so i wouldnt have been able to get her to the vets this morning).

The vet is hopeful that although it seems there could be some neurological damage, that she may have been treated in time. Although saffy weighs a little less than her sister (only 900g) she still is eating well and is really quite lively.

From past e-cuniculi possibilities with frida, i know that routine treatment with panacur is advised. Other than that, has anyone on here had a bunny with neurological damage such as incontinence and weak hind legs caused by e-cuniculi and how did you make it easier for bunny? Did they respond well to treatment?

Saffy doesnt actually live with me anymore (me & gail split up) but I am really worried about her and Eddy and want to do what I can to make sure that she gets the best treatment.

thanks. Sarah.

yes my bun sooty had it......took about 2 week and he made a full recovery. I kept going with the panacur to make it a full 4 week course (although you can go beyond to 6 weeks which may be more effective but is still unlikely to kill every single protazoa)

I repeat about 3 times a year with a 9 day course is he's showing no sypmtoms and a 28 day course is he is.

I would say that a 6 week course of Panacur is needed. As she is on steroids I wonder if she should also be on an antibiotic as steroids will significantly lower her immune system and the last thing she needs now is something like a Respiratory Tract Infection.

Trying to prevent reinfection with EC spores shed in the urine is important. So using feed bowls and hay racks is essential. Also daily cleaning of Buns accomodation using a dilute bleach solution. Bleach is about the only thing to kill EC spores which remain viable outside the host for up to 4 weeks.

If she is still getting very wet with wee then after you have washed and dried
her applying some vaseline to any exposed skin around her genitals/tummy/inner hind legs will help protect the skin from urine scald.

:)

Back