• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fess up to your bunny howlers

luvabun

Warren Veteran
None of us were born with extensive knowledge on caring for buns and it's a huge learning curve and I for one, am learning all the time.

So I thought it would be enlightening to admit to any mistakes that we've made... and learnt from.

I'll start:
When I got my first male bun, Totti, one of my colleagues who lives not too far from me, had 2 girl buns and I thought of taking him round to play with them. He had been neutered as soon as I got him so I knew that wasn't an issue. Thankfully I never did take him round as I can now imagine the carnage that would have ensued (her buns were not spayed or vaccinated and both died later of myxi :( )

My first 2 house rabbits were both supposed to be boys but I realised one was a girl when she had a baby behind the television set one day :shock: :oops:

ive stopped using the muslie mix and cut down on the carrots i was still feeding the old way i grew up withm and i exersize my bunnies much more. although i never has guinea pig with a bun i never realised why until i met my mate a couple of years ago who used to rescue them.

oh and have learnt to me more patient on bonding im chewing me knuckles waiting for them to be ready

also i never knew about jabs and worming i knew about the myxi jab but never knew about the others

oh and there poos too

ive learnt so much since starting rescueing

Hmmm...

I kept straightening everything our to how I wanted it, untill they finally 'told' me that 'this is how they want it'
:oops::shock:
Jack x

i always admit this is as im not one to hide behind mistakes.

i deliberatly bred peanut butter and Jelly. Domino is their son. i dont regret it because how can i? that would mean saying i wish domino didnt exist and i cnt say that.

However, i have learnt from that mistake, as they are all neutured, have been for around 18months now, and they r now a happy family, so i like to think that..

i got some stuff wrong at the start, but it all worked out in the end. i never pretend it didnt happen because whats the point in that?

whats important is the changes we make :)

i deliberatly bred peanut butter and Jelly. Domino is their son. i dont regret it because how can i? that would mean saying i wish domino didnt exist and i cnt say that.

However, i have learnt from that mistake, as they are all neutured, have been for around 18months now, and they r now a happy family, so i like to think that..

i got some stuff wrong at the start, but it all worked out in the end. i never pretend it didnt happen because whats the point in that?

Thats True! Its good that you learnt from your mistakes, but at least they are all happy and healthy now:D
Jack x

as far as i know none... i found RU right at the start of my bunny keeping :D

I was on a different forum previous to finding this and did 3 months of homework so I kind of knew the basics too.

I remember the first time I had a look at his scent glands and I didn't tell Ryan what I was doing, he gagged at the smell and thought there was something seriously wrong with him! :lol:

I was on a different forum previous to finding this and did 3 months of homework so I kind of knew the basics too.

I remember the first time I had a look at his scent glands and I didn't tell Ryan what I was doing, he gagged at the smell and thought there was something seriously wrong with him! :lol:

ooooh ive not got aquainted with the scent glands yet... alvin dont pong and thats enough for me :lol::lol::lol::lol:

that it is NOT normal for two unspeyed females to get along lovingly. i had one pair of buns who did and assumed this was the norm until i had 2 single females who i thought would love the company of each other and put them into ones territory and the injurys were horrific....they lived seperatlyfor many years after quite happily(space and run time was something they were never short of) and we never understood why till after thier deaths (neither of uterine cancer luckily)
bonding is probebly the thing iv learnt most about.

I did a lto of research before taking my bunnies in because i wanted them to be as happy as possible, but i still had quite a few misshaps xD

Batbunny and Firefly were wrongly sexxed as girls, but about a month later I noticed their B***s had dropped :lol:

And when they fell out because I'd waited until 5 months to have them castrated made me really upset as I felt I'd failed them, but I managed to rebond them 9 month later. They still live in seperate hutches though, they get on but wouldn't like to be together 24 hours, like a lot of peopel I suppose :3

Your honesty is refreshing and that last sentence is so true :)

Your honesty is refreshing and that last sentence is so true :)

well at the end of the day, all bunnies went to loving homes (with the exception of sum1 who wont vaccinate!!) and domino has a loving home here, and its not a dark or dirty secret... the babies were loved, got soo spoilt, and had a huge hutch and run to grow up in.

and i just dont see the point of lying. bcus i am proud to say that i did something wrong and then got it right, bcus otherwise it makes other people feel they have to be perfect as they as they introduce themselves and they really dont. its okay not to be perfect at the beginning:)

Our first house bun, Phoenix, suddenly flopped on one side with her legs partly in the air one day. We decided she must have had a fit and chased her round the house for 15mins to catch her (we weren't very good at handling her either in those days) cause I thought I needed to take her to the vet. SHe looked perfectly normal, not even puffed when we finally caught her. Found out later that rabbits throw themselves on their sides and stretch out when they are particularly relaxed. Poor bun never did it again in our company!:roll:

Our first house bun, Phoenix, suddenly flopped on one side with her legs partly in the air one day. We decided she must have had a fit and chased her round the house for 15mins to catch her (we weren't very good at handling her either in those days) cause I thought I needed to take her to the vet. SHe looked perfectly normal, not even puffed when we finally caught her. Found out later that rabbits throw themselves on their sides and stretch out when they are particularly relaxed. Poor bun never did it again in our company!:roll:
Sorry but that's made me howl :lol:

Mindymoo- what age did your Mums bun reach? We had a rabbit as a pet and he certainly didn't get the treatment that mine get now (but I can't remember how old he got to)

Sorry but that's made me howl :lol:

Mindymoo- what age did your Mums bun reach? We had a rabbit as a pet and he certainly didn't get the treatment that mine get now (but I can't remember how old he got to)

we had a bunny who was fed muesli, he had a 4 foot hutch but he did have a 6 foot x 4 foot run 24/7, and he lives until he was nearly 10:shock:

I thoguht pellets were the important part of the diet and hay was like a kind of garnish...if i ran out hay I would think, well, I'll get some when I can, she can have pellets for now :oops::oops::oops: :oops::oops::oops: :oops::oops::oops: :oops::oops::oops: :oops::oops::oops: :oops::oops:<<<the extent of my shame

she did have some grass too and I learnt my mistake quite quickly

I must admit to making a bit of a faux pas last night........I have 5 new foster babies (6 weeks old) and a mum in my large hutch which has a big sleeping compartment. Mum was stomping last night because of a cat so I went out to reasure and put some vet bed down to reduce the noise. I opened the sleeping compartment door (which is quite a lengthy and noisy process due to amount of locks so I would have thought any bunnys would get away from the door) and out fell two babies....they had obviously been sleeping against the door......cue mad woman dash in her nighty around the patio trying to collect babies.

and the worst thing is it happened again this morning!!!!!!! Next time I am going to knock!!!

Last edited:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back