• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do buns need regular worming?

As above, but also worth worming them at times when they might come into contact with other rabbits :)

We're doing this for the first time at the moment (day 5 of 9 this evening). Definitely easier with two. One of us picks them up and wraps them in a small towel on our shoulders so just their head pokes out. The other pops the syringe in the side of the mouth. Depending on how your buns react to being picked up/taking the syringe, it ranges from quite straightforward (with our placid Lionhead) to quite scary (with our insane Rex). The only way we manage it with the latter is to hold her very tight as she wriggles/gnaws your arm/tries to eat the syringe.

We're doing this for the first time at the moment (day 5 of 9 this evening). Definitely easier with two. One of us picks them up and wraps them in a small towel on our shoulders so just their head pokes out. The other pops the syringe in the side of the mouth. Depending on how your buns react to being picked up/taking the syringe, it ranges from quite straightforward (with our placid Lionhead) to quite scary (with our insane Rex). The only way we manage it with the latter is to hold her very tight as she wriggles/gnaws your arm/tries to eat the syringe.

oh dear well gizmo is more like the sound oh your insane rex! i never pick him up because he hates it and would eat me alive before he got 2 feet above floor level! :roll:

I struggled to do it whilst holding them in my arms (as it's just me, noone to help me). I have eventually managed to get them to take it however. What I do is to pin them down with my hand over the back of the neck just behind the ears (of course not too hard :) ) then I use the other arm to push the dispenser into the side of their mouths, this makes them start licking/chewing nothing and when you think it's in far enough you push in the end of the dispenser and it gives them the dose. They don't seem to mind it once it is in their mouth.

You can disguise it in a piece of banana!! My buns are so excited about the treat that they're not bothered about the taste of the panacur. However, some buns do actually like the taste of it - Maddie will eat it straight out of the syringe!

Apparantly Lapizole is a more appealing taste??

You can disguise it in a piece of banana!! My buns are so excited about the treat that they're not bothered about the taste of the panacur. However, some buns do actually like the taste of it - Maddie will eat it straight out of the syringe!

Apparantly Lapizole is a more appealing taste??

Now that is worth a try. They don't seem to mind the taste at all, just the action of the syringe being put in the mouth. Frankly I don't blame them!

Do indoor buns need it too? And why is it needed? Sorry but Boris has never once been wormed.

It's estimated that 50% of rabbits in the UK have E.C. :shock:
Panacur is the course of treatment the vets will give to a rabbit that is ill because of E.C., however the treatment can't meand damage that has already been done :(. It's also used as a preventative measure in shorter courses :)

i personaly find it better to syringe feed on floor level inbeteen the legs , most of my buns tummy do that whhhhhhhhhooa thing you know how we get only two of mine like to be picked right up and carried around the house for cuddled or to just be nosy, linus preferes to take from the syringe on his own accord i have to lie in front of him while he wrestles with it, pancur is apperantly tasty to buns, i think its to prevent the spread of ec not sure though.

OK. So after reading about this on here for a while I thought about panacuring my buns. I'm sure the article in rabbiting on concluded that that this was not recommended :? Does anyone NOT panacur regularly?

Last edited:
OK. So after reading about this on here for a while I thought about panacuring my buns. I'm sure the article in rabbiting on concluded that that this was not recommended :?

Unfortunately there is not 1 clear opinion on E. cuniculi shared by the experts, from its prevalence to how best to treat it. Whatever the opinion about the risks of a rabbit getting E cuniculi it is fact that if a rabbit is infected with E. cuniculi and shows clinical signs it is incredibly distressing for the rabbit, companion rabbits and the owner. Bearing this in mind I would always recommend using whatever preventative measures there are available to us as rabbit owners. Panacur is not expensive, especially when comparing it to the cost of trying to treat the clinical signs of an E cuniculi infection so I would hope that all bunny owners use it.

I hope that helps

Rach

If you do not know what your bunny's EC status is then you should give a 9 day course every 6 months I think is the recommendation if not showing any symptoms.

Bunnie has just had a blood test for EC and it was thankfully negative, thus meaning she has not been exposed to EC. We now do not need to panacur her every 6 months.

When we did panacur her though at first we gave in a piece of spring green until we realised that she loved the stuff and would eat it straight from the tube when carefully squeezed out and then offered to her. Never squeeze it directly into their mouths as panacur tubes have been known to have the dosage dial come undone and just shoot out! Panacur explosions are not funny when it comes to cleaning it up:roll:

You can now get Panacur for £5.99 in Pets @ Home!

I worm Blue every 6 months (well, hes just under a year old so I've done it twice!) I tend to pick it up from the vets when he has his myxi jab. Hes a big boy (Frenchxdwarf lop) and a bit of a fatty (5.2 kilos :shock:) so he has to have 2 grads every day which uses up most of the tube.
I use Pancur and to administer i just sit on the floor, call him over, scoop him up and put his bum on my lap (works best if you sit cross legged) then gently tip him backwards with his head in the crook of my arm. I tend to put the syringe into the side of his mouth so he doesn't chew it when its in (he chewed a bit off the end when I did it for the first time) and squeeze away.
Once hes done (I wait until hes stopped mouthing and licking his lips) I tip him the right way up and give him a small piece of carrot to get whatever's left in his mouth safely down.
Its a damn site easier that worming horses!!!
Hope this helps
;)

Oh yeah....Blues a house bun, with limited outside time.
and aside from the point....who/what are the rew 8?
x

I tend to use the 'upside down on my lap' technique for all sorts of things that need to be done which he doesn't like......grooming his tummy and checking/cleaning his bum to name but two!
x

Back