• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hand made runs!!

Eveyk22

Warren Scout
:wave:
Was just wondering if anyone has any pictures of runs they have made themselves and if anyone has got any tips and ideas, as i would like 2 try and make a (safe) run for my rabbit.

Shall be watching this thread as we are currently in the process of attempting this ourselves :) We already have decent runs but want one actually attached to the cage so the buns can get in/out as they please :)

Have been to B&Q tonight and bought lengths of wood... and also some mesh (had the £20 roll as it seemed strong/thick) they do a cheap one, like chicken wire but i wouldnt reccommend that :(

Dad is meant to be coming round sat/sun to build it, so i shall try and get piccys posted when its done :D

:wave: Thanx becky, i look forward 2 seeing the pics.i hopefully want to make a really large run.
If you come across anything i need to know, please let me know.
Good luck run building.lol.:D

just about to start making our aviary/run tomorrow, will get some pictures and pass on tips as soon as i have learned what not to do ;)

:wave: no your not invisible, i must have been writing at the same time as you.If you can put some pics up 2moro i will be very grateful, and look forward 2 seeing them.:D
how long does it take ur OH to make them?

When we had George and Binky (years ago) my dad built them a MASSIVE run!!
He basically got pieces of wood... and mesh and like did this 10ft x 5 ft run!!!
and like did a little cardboard bit just like a 1/5 of it for a little bit of shade :D
When they both died we gave it to a friend and then they broke it!! Can you beleive :lol:

:wave: no your not invisible, i must have been writing at the same time as you.If you can put some pics up 2moro i will be very grateful, and look forward 2 seeing them.:D
how long does it take ur OH to make them?

Phew im not a ghost:lol::lol::lol:.He makes fences for a living,so he has all the tools,saws etc.It didnt take him long to make the runs and nest boxes.We had a fox prob a while ago so now the nest boxes are attached to the runs with big chains.

We used 10 aviary panels 3ftx 6ft they attach to a 8ftx6ft shed. In the run is also a small hutch and run for guinea pigs :D

DSCF0786.jpg

Hubby made our attached run to Charlie and Mocha's hutch and he also made Peppa's. I've not got a pic of her completed run yet but I have pics of it in progress.

This is Charlie's and Mocha's

002-8.jpg

This is Peppa's in the during stages

001-12.jpg

002-12.jpg

I'll see if I can get a pic of Peppa's completed run today, if the rain stops.

Our runs:
run2.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

As for tips I'd say:
  • Use pressure treated timber. Much easier than painting yourself.
  • Some people fix the wire to the inside to stop the buns chewing the wood. Personally I fixed it to the outside to stop them hurting their teeth on it or any sharp bits where I'd cut with wire snips.
  • If screwing into the end of timber, drill first to stop splitting.
  • If drilling screw holes through thick/wide timber, drill from the screw exit side so it doesn't matter if you're not totally square with the drill.
  • Make the run tall enough to stand up in. Much easier on the back when cleaning out.
  • Make the door big enough to climb in/out easily when your hands are full of dustpans and bags.

here mine newly made in...may 2007, it has a lid now, but here it is just after it has been made...back in the day when mr butter was a lonely little bachelor!!

DSCF0786.jpg

:shock: i thought i was seeing double then! got all confused, cause there is 2 maizeys! :oops:

the run is fab! :thumb:

Its a brilliant run and what a lovely garden you have.

Thank you.:D I do really like the run, especially as they made it to open right up , so there's no getting away from me at bed time!:lol:

The garden was wall to wall lawn when we moved in. It's taken a few years to bush up and look mature, but it is getting there now. I love being out there ( when it's not chucking it down)!:lol:

:shock: i thought i was seeing double then! got all confused, cause there is 2 maizeys! :oops:

the run is fab! :thumb:
:lol::lol: Yep there's two of us! Only difference is one with an 'e'. We are both very like minded and have lots in common too and yet we've never met! Will have to correct that one day.;)

Thanks for your kind comments about the run.

Back