• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

eye problems

charlie00

New Kit
please help my 18mth old bunny had his front teeth removed in feb as the vet said it was a final option to his over grown teeth, he had a really hard time and now lives on grated carrots, excell and chopped greens (as can only lick up small pieces) recently he's had a runny eye in which the vet prescribed fucithalmic and said his back teeth are getting bad and one of the front teeth are re-growing and need to be removed again once it erupt properly. He still has a runny eye have you any suggestions he looks so miserable!!:(

Ask vet to prescribe Tiacil drops and try a couple of Depocillin injections if that doesnt do the trick.

One of my other rabbits had an eye infection and we tried fucithalmic but it did very little to help but then the vet put him on Tiacil drops and gave him a couple of weekly injections of Depocillin and it cleared up a treat.

Hope this helps!

There are many different eye drops and antibiotic injections but sometimesthe eyes become weepy for other reasons than an eye infection such as blocked tear ducts which could be due todental problems as it may seem in your case the vet can flush the tear ducts.
Can I ask what breed this rabbit is?
back teeth can be filed down every so often but just watch incase they cut into the mouth that can lead to abcesses!
A friend may cheer your bunny up, also hay helps grind the teeth down 80-90% of a rabbits diet should be hay!

How much hay does he get in his diet.? I had a bunny a few years ago with just a single incisor which i had to clip to keep down regularly. She didn't have any other dental problems otherwise. She was given pellets, carrot peelings and plenty of other veggies as well as plenty of cut grass and hay.
The eye problem could possibly be due to his back teeth becoming overgrown.
Helen xx

The weepy eyes could be caused by dental problems you can't see. My bun has chronic dental disease but you can't see it by looking in his mouth i.e. his teeth are not overgrown and his front teeth are aligned properly, it's a tooth root problem. I only found out he had this when he was x-rayed and all his troubles started off with runny eyes :(
My bun is only a year old, he is also a lop. I have to do the same with his food tear up his greens, grate or finely slice carrots. I also mix up his pellets with warm water to make them easier for him to eat and he loves them warm :)

Has your rabbit had x-rays on his head to see what's happening with his tooth roots?

Back