• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Bun

lisalouuk

Young Bun
My 8 year old Misty has had 2 abcesses removed over the last 7 months and since then the infection has stayed in the bone in his face and has been kept under control by Depocillin injections every two weeks.

Everything has been fine for weeks now until today all of a sudden he is doing the following:-

1) Urinating excessively
2) Breathing seems a bit laboured
3) Picking at his food instead of eating it all.

Could this be because of the Depocillin or could this have anything to do with the Metacam that he is on?

Anyone had a similar experience or could you give me any advice?

I am taking him to the Vets in the morning but if he gets any worse in the meantime I will drive him over to the Emergency out of hours vets.

If the breathing is laboured he needs a vet now-24hours to a rabbit is like a week to a rabbit!excessive urination can also be a sign of kidney failure, sorry but let us know how things go.
All The Best
Katie

:wave: hows bun now??? duphapen is an injection that really works on rabbit abscesses...(pm me if you want to ask about it)
dont know about the other things though:?
hope bun gets better asap:)
kellie

Had him down the Vets at 9am this morning Vet listened to his chest and says respiritory infection he is at the vets as we speak on a drip got to call back at 4pm to see how he is.

Am really worried!

Unfortunatly Misty has passed away.

Vet rang me to go down at 2pm today as he wanted to speak to me face to face.

When I got there he explained that Misty had the onset of pneumonia, he said it was most likely caused by an abcess forming on the inside of his cheek this time rather than the outside and that when it burst the puss would have gone into his lungs.

Therefore he advised me to have Misty put to sleep which I agreed to.
I shall miss him dearly, he didnt act like a rabbit infact Im sure he thought he was a person as he would regularly jump on the sofa and lie next to me for hours whilst watching tv and would even follow me round the flat.

Once he even tried to pinch my dinner off my plate the cheeky chap him.
He has never wanted for anything I had him from 8 weeks of age and he would have been 8 in february.

Bye Misty Love you loads and miss you already bet you are up there on rainbow bridge running the ladies round I will never ever forget you:cry::cry:.

Back