• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Made my decision...UPDATE//Last page

Etha

Young Bun
I've decided that I'm going to check out the county fair this weekend and "rescue" a doe. Now I know that some would prefer I get one from a shelter but honest, have you seen the way they keep these animals?10+ huge rabbits in a tiny cage and its so hot..they have no padding, barely any food or water and they are forced to lay around on eachother in their one urine and poo =[

I got my Nomaru there 4 years ago while he was still a baby but they always have adults. The only rabbits I've seen there get treated like they should are the show ones :censored::censored::censored:

So yeah, thats what I'm doing. I'm going to bring her home, litter train her if she isn't already (I doubt she will be) and give her a nice clean soft loving home. She'll have free range in the house until my Nomaru is neutered and leveled out, then I'll get to bonding them little at a time.

So this is what I'm doing, I've made up my mind. I'll post some piccies when I get her and after I set up the kennel for her.

Wish me luck =] It'll take a while at the fair to find the perfect one for my baby boy but I know she'll be there.

Last edited:
I would not tolerate such a disgusting way of keeping the rabbits caged, can you not report them to your local animal protection league? They would take one look at the way they are being kept in those cages and probably confiscate them.

I know if I went there I would not be able to hold my tongue....:evil:

(This is kind of what I mean re my other thread re rabbits being 3rd class citizens...:( )

By buying one rabbit you just make space for another to suffer.

By adopting from a rescue you create space for another to be rescued.

By buying one rabbit you just make space for another to suffer.

By adopting from a rescue you create space for another to be rescued.

this is true in a way but by taking on one of these rabbits who is poorly treated maybe she will stop someone inexpeirianced taking on one and therefore will prevent further suffering to the animal and prevent another new rescue bun being brought to you. i have had rabbits off free ads(ok so no profit to owners but it wasnt a rescue) to rescue them, have paid for neuters and vaccs and give a loving home....arthur being one dora and snowy were another. i think if you can help any rabbits then do so. good luck im sure this bunny shall be ever so grateful to you. i would try and get a reduced price tho to minimize thier profits. also if getting a doe bear in mind she will need speying too, even if buck is neutered. good luck

my major concern is if you cannot bond them? even once neutered or if they have a fiery relaionship....i do find that allowing a bun to choose his/her future partner is the easiest way to get them both happy and a bond to work as like people some personalitys clash. in this case the rescue is the obvious choice. in saying that an expeirianced bonder can bond most rabbits with time and correct conditions....however i know personally i have failed in bondings before as well as succeeded so best of luck x

this is true in a way but by taking on one of these rabbits who is poorly treated maybe she will stop someone inexpeirianced taking on one and therefore will prevent further suffering to the animal and prevent another new rescue bun being brought to you.

:? With that argument you can justify buying from petshops too.

Or buying a fur coat.

:? With that argument you can justify buying from petshops too.

Or buying a fur coat.

no not a fur coat? how does that work? buying fur does not stop the suffering of any animal?and certaintly is wrong

and yes if you can get a rabbit at a reduced price or free if possible...eg i got a hamster for £1. from a pet shop to get it out of there due to ill health and its awful living conditions and while many of my hamsters are rescues i think that it was better to take the animal out and redce the profit of the pet shop than to leave her there as a dying breeding machine who was ill......poptart may well have died in that pet shop and i think it is up to the individual to decide when enough is enough and what they can do personally to help...(bear in mind i also reported the shop to rspca and never set foot in there again.) apparently the rspca have done nothing and classify all the living conditions as acceptable :( unfortunatly i dissagree.i did not contribute to profit with my £1. im sure and pop tart has a fab life here. if there was a rabbit and i had money and time and space for it and i saw it being ill treated and living in awful conditions if i could get the price down to under £5(or less dependant on the original price ie if £5 would try and get for 1-2£ then this would not give them profit but probebly save that particular animal an awful fate.

Buying a rabbit from a country fair is no different than buying from a pet shop, since they are supplied by breeders with the purpose of making sales profits. The only difference is that at a fair it is a little sadder looking environment.

Completely agree with bunlover.

Whilst most of us would prefer everyone adopt rabbits from rescues, I think it is very unrealistic to expect everyone to do it that way.

If you can help just one rabbit in a way that you feel appropriate, then you should do it, and feel good about it.

I think the comment about a fur coat is silly :roll:

Completely agree with bunlover.

Whilst most of us would prefer everyone adopt rabbits from rescues, I think it is very unrealistic to expect everyone to do it that way.

If you can help just one rabbit in a way that you feel appropriate, then you should do it, and feel good about it.

I think the comment about a fur coat is silly :roll:
I think that helping one rabbit is a good thing. But on a larger long term scale your choice is either ethically contributing to the problem by feeding the supply and demand of breeding for profit and the inevitable subsequent rescue cleanups, or you are not part of the problem by not getting rabbits this way as an ethical choice.

no not a fur coat? how does that work? buying fur does not stop the suffering of any animal?and certaintly is wrong

I was referring to an arguement someone made on here a while back, about buying a second hand fur coat. Apparently this helped animal welfare cos the animal was already dead so it would in turn stop another one from being killed in it's place. I just meant the logic was the same - ie Martian:lol:

I don't really care where people get animals from TBH - especially not now cos I feel ill - but I hate it when people say they "rescue" from a petshop. That's not rescuing - that's purchasing. If the animal WAS in a bad condition, reporting it, petitioning it, arguing with the owners - ANYTHING would be better that buying the animal - as that is CONDONING it. All that happens then is the owners think - Weyhay - there's a market for <insert animal> here - let's get a few in to sell on.

If you are contributing to someone's profit - you are part of the problem not the solution

Personally I wouldn't. Not from the rescue v. welfare point of view but because that type of setup sounds like infectious disease central. That might not be too bad if you didn't already have a rabbit (and were willing to foot the vet bills) but I would be very cautious about bringing home a rabbit from that type of situation unless you could quarentine them totally seperately for several weeks.

By totally seperately I mean not sharing the same air space and you scrubbing up between handling. With the understanding that if it did develop anything that you may need to keep them seperately even longer.

Things like pastrulla, EC and cioccosis all love animals kept in confirned conditions. Often the rabbit will look healthy at the sale but the stress of the journey/sale/new environment means the systoms appear a few days later.

If you don't want to go to a rescue I'd go for a responsible/recommended breeder not the type that sells in that sort of setup.

Tam

Things like pastrulla, EC and cioccosis all love animals kept in confirned conditions. Often the rabbit will look healthy at the sale but the stress of the journey/sale/new environment means the systoms appear a few days later.

I agree with this. Bouncer was healthy right up until he wasn't with EC

Personally I wouldn't. Not from the rescue v. welfare point of view but because that type of setup sounds like infectious disease central. That might not be too bad if you didn't already have a rabbit (and were willing to foot the vet bills) but I would be very cautious about bringing home a rabbit from that type of situation unless you could quarentine them totally seperately for several weeks.

By totally seperately I mean not sharing the same air space and you scrubbing up between handling. With the understanding that if it did develop anything that you may need to keep them seperately even longer.

If you don't want to go to a rescue I'd go for a responsible/recommended breeder not the type that sells in that sort of setup.

Tam

this is a very clear and fair point. i do agree that your current animals welfare should always come first no matter how sorry you feel for the animal.and for this reason alone am turing around my original thoughts and sayinga rescue is best in your situation.

regarding angies point i am not arguing with you at all just expressing my opinion...you do a brillinat job with rescueing animals and im sure that you agree with me on the fact that all these conditions should be reported(as i did so when i took pop tart away and if not rescued as you put saved her from a distressing end). i hope you feel better soon as didnt realise you were ill..
regarding purchessing pets and gaining shop profits in all my posts i have mentioned that bringing the cost down or atttempting to get the animal for free is better and i wouldnt purchess at full price. ok this is not ideal and a rescue is better of course and i did mention in terms of this particular case letting the bun choose his companion and havinng a known background from a rescue would be best. but i am not going to condone anyone who wishes to help save an animals life regardelss of if they pay for an animal or not.as ethical debate as it is.... ie.leave animal to suffer and die but to stop others being pupt in its place... or help if you can but then knowing the animal will have a sad and horrible existance.... i know by buying a pet it is worsening the problem regarding profit to an organisation but to that individual animal it will matter to them and they will have a better life....which is important. i wish that all petshops etc didnt sell animals and i hope that one day it will only be licensed responsible breeders and no need for rescues...i know this is unliekely to ever happen and until then we must all do what we can to protect all animals welfare.

i will not start a long drawn out debate on this as it isnt worth it and i dont want to argue about it.all rescues do an amazing job. i hope that any animal...purchessed or rescued regardless of your take on this is wel cared for and loved.all of my animals rescued/free ad...or poptart from petshop reduced...are loved and have large enclosures and proper medical attention as and when needed and that matters to each and everyone of them.

I think we all need to look at where Etha is from before judging. In her local area there may not be any rabbit rescues for her to get a rabbit from.

I think we all need to look at where Etha is from before judging. In her local area there may not be any rabbit rescues for her to get a rabbit from.
Of course there are rabbit rescues and shelters all over Ohio & Americans are used to traveling far if she would have to go to another town as the country is so spread out. She could start by looking up the house rabbit society of Ohio.

Of course there are rabbit rescues and shelters all over Ohio & Americans are used to traveling far if she would have to go to another town as the country is so spread out. She could start by looking up the house rabbit society of Ohio.

Thank you for correcting me. However, I still think it is very unfair to pillory someone who is trying to do some good in the world.

I am very pro-rescue but I understand that not everyone gets their rabbit from one. Every rabbit deserves to be cared for and loved, regardless of where it came from.

Every rabbit deserves to be cared for and loved,
Yes, and the heartless people who turn out all those rabbits for profit are to blame for the inevitable proliferation of uncared for and unloved rabbits.
How can anyone choose to support them in any way, handing them money at a fair or a petstore :?

Yes, and the heartless people who turn out all those rabbits for profit are to blame for the inevitable proliferation of uncared for and unloved rabbits. How can anyone choose to support them in any way, handing them money at a fair or a petstore :?

I agree. However, some people would say that if they go and buy a rabbit that is in poor circumstances in a pet store or show, they have rescued it.

I've seen small animals in a poor state for sale and I do complain but I know that if I'd have had the space and ability at the time to take them with me, I probably would have done (and still written a letter to Head Office).

I'm with bunlover on trying to get the pet at a reduced rate or free if possible, although I know this is not always possible.

Yes, and the heartless people who turn out all those rabbits for profit are to blame for the inevitable proliferation of uncared for and unloved rabbits.
How can anyone choose to support them in any way, handing them money at a fair or a petstore :?

That's how you feel. And it's fair enough. But let's not lynch someone who happens to have a differing opinion. That's how wars are started.

Let's just be happy for the bunny that gets a good home, wherever they come from :)

Back