• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snotty nose & sneezing question & help please! UPDATE!

The Kids

Young Bun
Hi, My by Oscar is about 7 months old now & when I first got him I was very careful to keep him warm etc coming from a petshop into the outside.

He has always sneezed alot, then the last few weeks his sneezing has been alot better. Today though he is snuffling really bad & has a snotty nose & its making him sneeze & get more snotty.

I have got some different hay, do you think it is this? Will taking it away help or should I take him to the vets??

He's eating & drinking but doesn't seem as happy/chirpy if you like as he normally is.

Your help is much apprecitated
Thanks

Last edited:
Hello

I would advise you to take Oscar to the Vet ASAP as it sounds as though he has an upper respiratory tract infection AKA 'Snuffles'. It is importnat to seek prompt treatment as the infection can track down into the lungs and cause a very serious pneumonia.

Good luck

:)

Yes take him to the vets, healthy rabbits do not sneeze and have snotty noses.
However dust in the hay/straw or sawdust can irritate a bunny.

We've been to the vets & he said that he thinks Oscar has had an infection probably when he was a baby before I got him & its stayed in his sinuses.

He's given me some antibiotics & I'm taking the hay away I bought incase its aggrivating it & he should be fine.

Phew!!! My poor boy! He's so lovely I feel awful like I'm a bad mum :cry:

I'm so glad he's going to be ok :)

:wave: a good thing to help them when they have snuffles is run a hot bath /shower (,shut the door) with them in a carrier if necessary.
leave them in the room for at least 20 mins.obviously take in a littertray ,water and hay:lol: this does help alot..
another way is put them in a carrier with a towel over it and hold a bowl of steaming water inside .it helps unblock the nose ..
if you have a humidifier even better!!! leave that near bun but with wires out of reach:roll:

thank you very much for the advise the bathroom one would probably be easiest to do.

I have totally cleaned out his cage to try & get rid of any dust from the other hay & he now has the hay I bought previous which he loves.

He's had yesterdays & todays entibiotics & is looking alot chirpier today, think also because we've had a cage shift round again so he's next to Ebony again. I think he gets lonely but I can't bond him till he's been neutered which is next month because of money. They currently snuggle next to each other with mesh between them!!

Thank you again your help is much appreciated x

Back