• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what the heck are these ?

misty7850

New Kit
I was rabbit sitting for my son.. the rabbit got out of the chicken coop.. Duh and I knew they burrow.. well anyway here it is almost 2 months later... and we finally catch the rascal.. I notice it has a sore on it face just to the right of the nose. There were what appeared to be maggots in it.. so we started to clean it, picking off the maggots and there seemed to be something else in there.. like a big slug... uggggggh... anyway, while cleaning off the fur with dried under the wound.. I noticed another area under the neck with what looked like a larger one of these things.. my husband pulled them out and we packed the wounds with saline gauze.. till my son can take poor bunny to the vet and get some medicine..
The bunny is now in a cage she can't burrow out of.. and she did eat tonight so that is a good sign right ?..
I felt so bad, cause she fought a little bit.. but must have known we were trying to help.. she cried.. and big ole tears coming from her eyes.. guess I didn't realize a rabbit could cry..
I hope she gets better..
The first to are the slugs ? blood-suckers ? aliens ??? and the other looks like a maggot ??
Anyone know what these are ?

1slugMedium.jpg

2slugMedium.jpg

1maggotMedium-1.jpg

I have a feeling these are blow fly lava....I hope the vet can sort this out, fly strike is increadibly painful, I hope your bun makes a full recovery .

Last edited:
Poor bunny :cry: :cry: Glad you have got her back and I do hope its been good news at the vets. They look like fly larvae to me too.

bloody jesus!they made my skin crawl!ive never seen anything like it!hope bunny gets better soon.i thought you only get blow fly in africa?x:?

Ewww,

Please make sure the rabbit gets to the vet as soon as is humanly possible. These things can kill very suddenly :(

did you get ya bunny to the vet if so how is she/he, how come you only just noticed those great things on ya bunny :(

:wave: It escaped for 2 months :shock: I don't know what them things are but they look revolting!

wow 2 months...so there is hope for me finding snowy yet?!!! and defo get vet to see immediatly ... rabbits dont cry as such so it could be many problems that are causing weepy eye...teeth problems(roots) blocked ducts(probly with larve or maggots) conjunctivitus...infection there are many things. you need to see a vet immediatly this bunny is in imminant danger...poor babyxxx

Thanks everyone for the input.. My son took the bunny home last night.. I haven't heard back from him yet today.. Will let ya know what the vet says.

woooooooooah those things are yucky how big are they? would that be actual size in that pic, last pic i thought fly strike those two bigs things im wondering ticks only wondering though, poor thing amazing you have him home though after two months

I did some research on fly strike & blow fly life cycle and it does seem like that is what it is. Still waiting to hear from my son as to the results of the vet visit.
As for the size of them.. you can see by the top of the tweezer.. it is pretty good size. About 1/2 " round and 3/4-1" long. as for the brown diqusting looking things. the other is just the size of a regular housefly maggot.. still gross though.. left some deep wounds on miss bunny.
We think while little miss bunny was out on her big adventure for those couple months, that she was bit by another animal.. and that is how the blow flies laid their maggots in her wounds.
She knew she needed help, that is why she come back... that is what we figure..

1soreMedium.jpg

2soreMedium.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of the wounds after hubby removed those things.. as you can see she was a mess.. hope all goes well at the vets.. I don't know though...

Poor bun, For two months was she loose in the garden or had she gone further??

Sorry just finding it hard to believe that it would take two months to find a bunny in a garden. :shock:

oh the poor poor girl.does the hole by her eye go straight though her cheek or does it just look that way?well dont for cleaning her up.she must have been so uncomfortable.hope she does get better.x

Did I say bunny was lost in the garden ? I don't remember that.. She escaped from the barn.. burrowed her way right out.. gonzo.. we live in the country.. didn't even see her untill last week, although we hunted high and low.. then when we did see her.. she would run like the wind.. like I said, she musta known it was time to come in and get some help..
My son called today.. said the vet gave her a shot.. put her on abt and showed him how to treat the wounds.. but says it doesn't look good.. may have to put her down.. will see how she does in a week or so.
I feel so sad... :cry:

Back