• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Webcam Bunny Room Help please

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Basically, until my dad has made the bunnies dream home in the workshop they r going to live in the indoor boarding room, and we are stopping indoor boarding until it is made....

it is a converted outhouse by our back door, my dad said he will help me get a camera/webcam set up in there so i can log on and see them from university!

can anyone help me find something which i can set up at home, but be able to view it miles away?? will still have a PC at home..if it needs to be connected to a pc in the house still? dont know how it will work

Oh wow that's ace! What a good idea! When my (ex :() boyfriend and I lived apart we just got webcams for around £20 and talked on MSN, so that may work , but I'm sure people may be able to advise you on a proper online all teh time thing? A webiste would be ace as others could see it! I'd love to see what your 4 get up to!

You can get wireless cameras not attached to computer, we have one at school for a birdbox - they r not cheap tho - around £150 for what i remember

lol exactly!

i just would love to be able to log in and see them moving around, to see their okay :)

but all i can find is ones which connect to your pc if its not too far away etc :? we still have a desktop pc in the house so i dont know if it needs to be connected to that pc, and i can log in somewhere else as if i was just viewing it like you guys would be, but its set up to the house pc?

too confusing"

I reckon even a wireless webcam might be inadequate cos it wouldn't have the range - ie it wouldn't be able to see the whole room! Poor you, I really feel for you! Where are you going to uni? If you get in early enough you may be able to find a house for 2nd year that has a garden so the buns could be with you? I know that's long time in the future, but worth bearing in mind cos trust me, the best houses go quickly!

not with four, bcus they need a shed or something, if i had just one indoor bun i could prob have that, but not four.

the room isnt that bad so that parts okay, its only 5 x 5 foot, so would get most of it. im just going to miss them so much and i want to be able to see them when i want, except at night and when there in the run.

i know i have to leave them, and i know by doing this course im getting them a better life one day....but im so scared one will die when im not here or something, sounds silly but there so fragile arnt they :(

Yes I can understand that entirely. It's not silly at all. You are right though - you have to do uni for yourself as well as them! From what I've read your parents are very supportive of your buns as well so there's no need to worry! If anything happened then uni is flexible enough for you to come home for a day or two! I had meningitis in my first year at uni and althoug hit was over christmas hols, I had to miss lectures etc occasionally cos I felt like :censored:! Missing a few things here and there won't matter if you need to get to them so don't worry!

That looks good cos you can control it panning 320 degrees via the internet - i would say it may be ideal, and while that's a fair bit of money, not a huge amount if spread over the days you will look. Is there a returns option? Maybe you could try it and see if it works?

plus you guys can look too :D:D:D

mum said i shouldnt get it cus i need to save my money for uni, blah blah blah :(

but i did some photos for a couples wedding a few weeks ago for nothing, but aparantly they were going to give me something so hopefullyi will be able to afford it. i did photos from 3pm til 1am so....

mum just thinks its silly, but ill miss them soo much. i actually cant bear the thought of not seeing them every single day, thelongest ive been away from them ever is 2 nights

Do make sure you have mone for frehers week though - I told myself I wouldn't spend much and you really really do have to - joining in with the social stuff gets you off to the best start but it does cost! I made the mistake of taking stuff liek toaster, kettle, pan set etc to a place where there were 10 of us on one corridor - therefore 10 toasters. kettles, pan sets etc! So bear that in mind too. If teh money from the photography doesn't materialise, then hard as it will seem, you could wait until Christmas for the camera, and you will have plenty of new friends to keep you occupied in the meantime!

yehhhh i know :(

and i know seeing them is probably going to make me miss them more........

i wish i didnt have to leave my babies :(

Yup, if you don't want to use the PC, then you need an IP cam like the one you linked to. These are more expensive though since they have a processor and webserver built in.

The one you linked to looks fine, although I notice it's not wireless so you'd have to run an ethernet cable to your router whereever that is?

If you can get a PC in there you could use a bog standard web cam, but obviously the PC would need to be on constantly if you want to see them at any time.

Yup, if you don't want to use the PC, then you need an IP cam like the one you linked to. These are more expensive though since they have a processor and webserver built in.

The one you linked to looks fine, although I notice it's not wireless so you'd have to run an ethernet cable to your router whereever that is?

If you can get a PC in there you could use a bog standard web cam, but obviously the PC would need to be on constantly if you want to see them at any time.

ah, that could be a problem, the outhouse is by the back door, and then the pc room is along the hall so no way cud we drag a cable in there! cant fit a pc in there either, the room is empty, and its only 5 x 5 foot so the pc would take up the whole room..

Back