• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guniea Pigs..Think the decision has been made..

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Okay so i have separated my guniea pig and rabbit over a week ago.

All seems okay with Guniea pig...

I need help in deciding what to do..

Do we

A) neuter him, put him with 2female guniea pigs

B) get him a baby boar and see how they get along

C) leave him alone..

HELP!!

Any views are welcome as we dont know what to do.

x

Last edited:
Well a baby boar seems like a good idea to me..and I happen to know where there are about a dozen looking for homes!:lol:

Well a baby boar seems like a good idea to me..and I happen to know where there are about a dozen looking for homes!:lol:

Aw i know, but what if they fight?

When Toby was with his brothers....Toby wasnt the problem, it was the other two fighting...

i think if piggy isnt too lonely at the moment i would have him neutered,wait the required time for him to be safe to go with females and then bond with the ones you have. at least then if that doesnt work you can try a boar. but if hes lonely then its worth trying boar first. we have known people pair adult boars successfully too, depends on temperament of piggies each one is different. good luck with whatever you decide :)

I think that I personally would also go for trying to bond him with a baby boar. I have done this twice now (older boar/baby boar bondings) and both went EXTREMELY smoothly with no squabbles whatsoever. :D

Okay thanks alot.
How would i know if Toby is lonely?

Whenever i go in the hutch he runs away, hes never been one for handling...Erm, hes eating and everything fine. He calls out to the girls and loves been near them...erm.....

How would i go about a baby boar...All im worried about is if he didnt bond....

x

i think most rescues would let you take Toby along to try with other males to see if they get on. most boars we have rehomed we could tell from the start that they either liked each other or they didn't.
as for being lonely,i think as long as hes eating and squeeking then hes ok. if he can see the girlys then he has some company for the time being.

I don't have that much experience with male guinea pigs but don't unneutered boars fight a lot if they're in smelling distance of females?

We got a gorgeous boar to bond with our boar and they really love each other, no fighting and they were bonded within a few hours:)

Okay thanks alot.
How would i know if Toby is lonely?

Whenever i go in the hutch he runs awayx

I had a similar dilemma to you with Guinness who was too old to be neuteured but would normally run and hide when we went in his room, although loved human cuddles. Since we got him his girls (spayed) he is like a different piggie, a lot more confident!

Good luck :D

Okay so i have gotten home from work to find a new resident....Percy..

A 12wk old Guniea Pig, thats all i know. With a new cage and toys etc.

I have just put him with Toby, there currently sat together is a house....some funny noses. And Toby has tried to mount him and vice versa.....

Is this normal? When i bonded my girls they just chase each other.

I rang the OH whos at work, but he wouldnt tell me anything, other than answer my rather demanding question is it definately a BOY! He replied 100%...im just waiting to hear from him!

x

Back