• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding...read...please

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Okay so as you all probs know. Im looking to bond a group of 5, 3males with 2females. All spayed and neutered. Well today out in there runs, the 2girls next to each other (in runs) through bars, were both pretty aggressive towards each other. So i swapped them around and put a male in the run next to the female run, and they were fine..i did this with both females and all 3males.

So now im worried that my females are going to be the most trouble. I have swapped them between each others hutches and i am reguarly putting them out in runs next to each other.

Would you

A) carry on doing what im doing and just try the bonding of all 5

or

B) Do male and female, then 2males and one female?

Help...

xx

You could continue to try and bond all 5 if you wish. I tend to find girls are far more threatening to each other than other males. Just continue with what your doing for the meantime, if you don't notice any difference in their behaviour towards each other after a few weeks you can always try plan B.
Helen xx

you cant tell thru the bars, and i know that first hand.

my 2 pairs could never go side by side, peanut and domino would bite each other thru the bars and peanut once gave domino a scabby mouth!

also domino would chase pebbles and nip her bcus he could see other bunnies.

yet now they are a happy group of four. you just cant tell doing it through bars, you have to put them all together at once to achieve any progress.

also -dont bond 2, 2 and then add one, i did it this way bcus mine were originally pairs but it can actually cause more problems cus sumtimes a bun doesnt want to share his or her friend!

you'll know the buns personalities - but if I was to add a girl to my 9 now, I would introduce them to just Sugar first - my Alpha female, & if it was a boy I would introduce him to just Flint.

If that went well I would put bun with all other buns on neutral territory the same day.

As your buns are single, you won't know how they are gonna react to other buns, so you easily do one big bond on neutral - but I would have someone with you. I tried to bond a 4 recently & 2 fights broke out. I was separating one with my foot, while holding another bun up in the air & getting bitten. Not fun!:shock::lol:

I hear bonding males is hard work, but quite possible if a lot of time and care is put in it; my rabbits are both male and they fell out badly in their "teenage" months (I got them castrated a little late, at 5 months old) and I was told they'd never be friends again but I managed to bond them a year later, so if you have the right plans and time and patience, it's all possible!

pehaps go with what your rabbit's personalities tell you, like bonding the less agressive ones first?

you'll know the buns personalities - but if I was to add a girl to my 9 now, I would introduce them to just Sugar first - my Alpha female, & if it was a boy I would introduce him to just Flint.

If that went well I would put bun with all other buns on neutral territory the same day.

As your buns are single, you won't know how they are gonna react to other buns, so you easily do one big bond on neutral - but I would have someone with you. I tried to bond a 4 recently & 2 fights broke out. I was separating one with my foot, while holding another bun up in the air & getting bitten. Not fun!:shock::lol:

i second that, i has louise aka louise and gus with me when we tried mine, luckily it worked and really....it would have worked with me by myself butyou never know what to expect!

Back