• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thumper and 6 dead babies-what happened?

Hello Everyone: I am new to this site and my news is sad. My bunny Thumper was pregnant and when I cam home Mondy night at 10pm there she was with 3 dead babies. Then on Tuesday at 8 am there was another one, then again at 3pm and again this morning. The one this morning was awful, it looks like she attacked it on the tummy area. All of the babies were cleaned and ambilical cords cut. Are baby rabbits born with teeth and claws? When I got home that Monday night, I stayed with her until 4 am, then I checked at 6am there was nothing and then at 8 there was one. None of the babies except the last one had any bite marks or similar on them. I was with her alot and checking her every 1/2 hour or so except when I went to bed and went grocery shopping on Tues afternoon. I never saw any of them being born, its like she knew when I was gone. Do you's think they wre still born or is it possible she smothered them or something similar?

Is she a first time mother? They usually don't know what to do and can forget them, not feed them etc, or cannibalise them; she may also have cannibalised them if she thought they were in danger. Is the mother all right in herself?

It could have been that the mother wasnt prepared or the babies not warm enough - either way I think she rejected them (this could also be due to this being her first litter? not sure)

I don't have any experience myself but I know others do.

Sorry to hear of this :(

Hello Everyone: I am new to this site and my news is sad. My bunny Thumper was pregnant and when I cam home Mondy night at 10pm there she was with 3 dead babies. Then on Tuesday at 8 am there was another one, then again at 3pm and again this morning. The one this morning was awful, it looks like she attacked it on the tummy area. All of the babies were cleaned and ambilical cords cut. Are baby rabbits born with teeth and claws? When I got home that Monday night, I stayed with her until 4 am, then I checked at 6am there was nothing and then at 8 there was one. None of the babies except the last one had any bite marks or similar on them. I was with her alot and checking her every 1/2 hour or so except when I went to bed and went grocery shopping on Tues afternoon. I never saw any of them being born, its like she knew when I was gone. Do you's think they wre still born or is it possible she smothered them or something similar?

thats awful, i cant offer any advice but had to post to say how sorry i am. binky free little ones. is mum and you ok?.
x

Thumper

I am not sure if this was her first litter as my son found Thumper down at the ravine. We have had her for 3 1/2 years and believe that the previous owners just let her go. She is ok and I'm fine. She is extra affectionate since Monday poor girl.

I am not sure if this was her first litter as my son found Thumper down at the ravine. We have had her for 3 1/2 years and believe that the previous owners just let her go. She is ok and I'm fine. She is extra affectionate since Monday poor girl.

Sounds like it maybe was, or she's just not "mother" material. I'd give her a month or two & then get her spayed.

sorry to hear of your loss, I noticed that mentioned checking on them quite a lot.

When there was 6, and they were newborn did you handle them much?

If so did you cover your scent before doing so?

Rabbits should give birth very quickly (a couple of hours tops), that she had them spread over three days suggests to me she was having trouble giving birth which could be a physical problem with her or the babies. Honestly, your probably very lucky you didn't lose her as well!

It's not uncommon for females to kill/eat their babies if stressed though it doesn't sound like this was the cause of their deaths as only the last one was damaged.

I wouldn't recommend breeding from her again.

Tamsin

Aww, sorry to hear of your loss. If you've had her for 3.5 years, even if she was a baby then that means she's at least nearly 4 years old so she's way too old to be having babies now, she possibly killed them as she wasn't able to produce enough milk?

Last edited:
Thumper

I never handled any of them. The were already dead when I looked in. When I saw a new little dead baby I'd take Thumper out and clean the area as there was a fair amount of blood and I couldn't let those poor babies stay in there- so sad. The reason I was checking on her is the blood loss issue and I was trying to catch the birthing process so I could possibly save a baby if possible or see if they were still born. It has been an awful experience- now I have to bury 6 beautiful bunnies. I feel bad for my bunny. I love her so. Yes, the birthing process was very long- probably from Monday at 9:30pm to Wed at 7am which is not normal.

hiya,

I wasnt having a go just trying to get a picture of everything.

I think from everything you have said it may worth taking mum for a quick check up at the vets.

Maybe someone with breeding experience will be able to help more than I can...

Thumper

Thumper seems ok right now- no bleeding and eating and drinking is fine. How old is too old for a rabbit to have babies? This won't be happening again as she will be getting spayed.

Thumper seems ok right now- no bleeding and eating and drinking is fine. How old is too old for a rabbit to have babies? This won't be happening again as she will be getting spayed.

Personally I think a Doe should not be mated beyond the age of 3 years. Certainly a first time mating should never occur that late on.

Poor Buns :cry:

If she has had them over a couple of days I'd take her to he vets to make sure there are no others and to give her the once over. She has obviously had quite a bit of difficulty! I'm no a breeder but from what I remeber reading, if you don't breed a doe in it's first (6 months???? not sure how old it was but certainly under a year) of life you shouldn't breed at all because the birth canal becomes fixed and is too small. May be why it took so long.

Last edited:
6 months is the minimum age for breeding (I prefer 8, particularly for larger breeds). 12-18 months is the top limit for a first time mother. If she is to be kept in breeding she should have at least one litter a year.
A 4-year old can be used in breeding if she is healthy, but not if she hasn't had a litter in 3 years. This increases the chances of difficult births like this and if she really hasn't had a litter in at least 3 years I strongly believe this happened because she was too old.

If she has had them over a couple of days I'd take her to he vets to make sure there are no others and to give her the once over.

I was reading a thread the other night of a rabbit that died 7 days after giving birth possibly due to pregnancy toximea, a condition caused when a kit is retained in the womb. It decomposes in the womb and this in turn gets in to the blood stream and poisons the rabbit.

I would definitely get your rabbit checked over especially for the above being a possibility, due to her apparent difficulties giving birth. I believe the rabbit I was reading about seemed fine for days then suddenly was very ill.

I hope all is well with her.

yeah they do, tiny wee claws and teeth.
I'm very sorry for your bun and her babies. Due to the prolonged nature of her delivery and the outcome of the birth for her sake and for your own peace of mind I think a vet check up is advisable. Poor bunny :cry:

Back