• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

trying to upgrade bunny housing on a budget and confused!!1 help!!!

loutigger

New Kit
here goes! im a newbie so bear with me if im not up to scratch on the lingo etc... but! we have 2 bunnies normal plain brown not giant or lop or dwarf
(free from freecycle, we only intended to get 1 as a friend for our guinea after his previous also freecycle elderly friend passed away, but 2 were left and they were snuggled together and we thought we were cruel seperating them if they were bonded)
which weve discovered are brother and SISTER 3 guesses how we found out! theyre 6m old so not full size and now seperate,
mum had 8 kits (babies?) and is in a small hutch with them (we bought it for £15 second hand in desperation, hadnt the cash to get anything else (see why below) and wanted mum seperate, we seperated them when we found 7 babies one morning, all 7 died sadly, the 8 she has now are a 2nd litter, she caught the day she gave birth, and shes well fed etc so more babies followed!)
anyways point is we want to get dad neutered asap so he can live with mum after the babies r rehomed (thru here i hope!) AND we need a new bigger home, as the 4ft hutch dad is in i now know (thru reading on here) isnt big enough, (bluddy pet shops! its not as small as some either!!!) we have a seperate 6ft+ run (not measured) but cannot leave it attatched to the hutch as no suprises, daddy digs for england! hes got out before now (i caught mum but he got away) and returned the following morning (my guess is hungry!) so absolutley not giving him that much freedom again,(unless its ok to put wire mesh under to stop the digging and find another outlet for him?) anyways....
ive been looking online at options, reading whats written on here and have come to narrow it down based on SIZE as a first and would like some advice!!! guinewigs (0f which we now have 2 happy males) will get the old 4ft hutch and old run as they dont dig they just mow :D so buns need a complete new set up...

on ebay, "happy hutch" do a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft hutch and 6ft by 4ft run (i think i saw someone else mention these too) which isnt selling at the £139 price tag so im guessing thats what id pay for it, (i like to watch and learn)

or theres also the "rabbit hutch shop" option which is the same dimensions BUT the run is 4inch lower that the other option, and the roof being pitched, im guessing they measure the tallest bit, so rear may be slightly smaller too but its priced at £110 + 6.99 p n p so cheaper?

OR can anyone tell me if theres a 6ft x 4ft hutch of similar price to the above combos that i could attatch to the existing run to maximise indoor space for the buns?? or plans to build on or???

plus whats the quality like on these 2? is one better than the other? for the price they HAVE to last, im doomed to forever be a student i think (desperately trying to sort out a course for sept but its 2yrs b4 i get proper paid work!!!)and as mom of 2 kids multiple buns guineas and 2 cats i want to make sure everyones happy for as long as poss!!!! its **** value if it rots after a few yrs!
ive also seen the "cumfy pets" chicken coop type thing and the "shopping for pets" folding run and hutch on there but both seem a little smal, if cheaper? any ideas anyone????
ive tried the usual freecycle n gumtree classifieds etc but no joy, and as the cheap hutch we bought is really not up to anything, (the guineas are in an indoor hutch and are happy but dont want to swop them and move mum in because of cats and said kids, im sure shed appreciate the peace and quiet!) id like to sort it out asap? weve got a friend willing to loan/give us another hutch but from memory it isnt very big either? i think itll do tho until we can get everything sorted so for now research....advice greatfully recieved!

ps... i know youre all passionate about your buns and while not ideal believe it or not the housing we have is an upgrade from theyre previous and as theyre still small we were hoping to have time to sort it out when we know what theyre full size is going to be? weather permitting theyre in the run as much as poss, guineas mix with dad bun fine, mum i havent let out since the evening before she gave birth , again advice on wether or not she can use the run and leave babies in the hutch seperate much appreciated, if i was her id be bored stiff and aching to get out, and while i know theyre (babies) fed 1/2 times a day i dont want to upset her or them?

btw neutering was always the plan and unfortunately didnt occur as my self employed partner was attacked and off work for a long time, we barely ate so vets for healthy animals wasnt an option, and they couldnt go back to where they came from, and i didnt want to bump them around either, we thought both being boys (3m old at the time) we wouldnt have babies!!! we are still trying to recover financially from the aftermath so pls pls pls dont all jump on me! i need help not lectures!! all said animals are again healthy and im working on improving what weve got for them as and when i can we do love our buns!!!:love: and guineas :love: and kittys :love: and all our animals are taken in and been given a better chance than what they had where they were,(the mother of the cats was beaten we took her in rehomed her n her other kittens and kept 2 kittens, guinea was alone and so was previous bun, who had an appaling hutch and run combo totally unsafe leaky no hay no sawdust n no company) all are paired so they dont get lonely as us humans arent always the best company and we cant sleep in with them :) and vets bills arent unheard of here either!) so umm yeah hi and umm HELP!!!!!! love lou, big heart tiny brain??? (if we had space + time + money im sure wed end up some sort of rescue!)

I'd just like to applaud you for your honesty - I can't really offer any advice but I hope someone can as you clearly want to do the best by your buns! I have been in a similar situation having inadequate accommodation for my housebun and I have learned so much on here!

Could you maybe get a shed and convert that for them?

Phew, sounds like you've been having a bit of a time of it!

It would be fine to attach mesh the the bottom of the run. Use weld mesh rather than chicken wire as it's a bit stronger. You can also use quite wide stuff so the grass grows up through.

If you are looking for a free cycle bargin you might keep you eye out for a wooden childrens playhouse or small shed. You get more space that way :) You can also pick up small (6'x4') sheds for around or under the £100 mark which you could then attach the run to and puit a catflap bwteen. If you had a shed and attached run it would be possible to have a small group of buns so you could (for example) keep a couple of the female babies.

The happy hutch on ebay is also sold as a seperate hutch without the run if you visit the happy hutch website.

There's also no reason you can't join several small hutches to make a big one. If they are similar sizes you can take off the end panels then join them together or you can build a tunnel between.

Someone also suggested a greenhouse frame covered in mesh (instead of filled with glass) can make an excellent run. That's also something you might be able to pick up second hand.

Tam

thankyou for bumping! :D and for being friendly too, :wave: sorry if i sounded a bit grumpy just mega stressed at the moment and frustrated with misinformation from college and pet shops and so on, ARGH! oh for the easy life!! i neeeed a holiday!!!

anyway have been trying to get a shed on freecycle for ages as weve also got an allotment (but not allowed to keep buns there or else theyd have much more space!) and no joy, didnt think of a greenhouse tho? altho again as allotments are now trendy and being in birmingham theres a huge base of freecyclers, but mostly wanted ads, i doubt id get one (think i counted 2 ads wanting shed 1 for a greenhouse plus one for a hutch this wk alone!),
plus as our gardens small and weve already got a concrete garage
(full of junk!! struggling to clear out not all is destined for freecycle as theres man **** iykwim and furniture ppl say theyll have but never take...)
at the bottom im not so sure a shed would go down so well.... but ill have a look, never seen a 6 x 4 shed for under £100 tho? have been advised by allotment ppl to look for b n q water damadged ex display etc stock soon, guess il go back and ask if anybody knows when "soon" is :) i think ill keep an eye out for a second hand kiddies playhouse tho, im sure one of those would b ok in the garden, the kids already have a brightly coloured plastic one :) there was a 4ft one advertised but no taken post so ive just gone and asked...fingers crossed!

re existing hutches theyre all different shapes and sizes and given the bodge job i saw on our old buns hutch (had a hole in the back boarded up, one in the side, boarded up, and came with a hole clipped in the wire mesh of the door and run which sort of lined up, sharp edges still poking out till i got to it...hence imo not being at all safe and suitable (theyd done it to allow access to the run on a permanent basis, she never dug so not a problem but it meant repairs to the run too and one hole that was left in the side, she couldnt get out but something bigger n stronger couldve got in... its what she came with tho and until we picked her up we didnt know what we were getting, poor poppy! anyways point is im not sure i trust my diy skills!!! if buns did get out wed be devestated! but it is as you say something to consider weld mesh for the bottom of the run is something ill keep an eye out for, the run weve got folds so id need to be able to pick it up and move it independently same as the lid, which could b fun, but good to know it can be done and certainly the smaller of the hutches would easily fit in it to allow daytime shelter if i can give them a decent sized bedtime option, there is a catflap sized door at the end of the run with a bit that slides out so it mustve been used with a hutch outside of it before, i just need to keep working on leveling the bit of garden itd all fit onto so that its possible :) if only i could bring a patch or 3 of couch grass home from the lotty n plant it up thatd do the job, but am i right in thinking they cant eat couch?

and ive waffled on again! so sorry! id best go as kids and cats are demanding attention/food/more attention and ive got to pop out this morning too (no rest for the wicked??)
many thanx again and keep the suggestions coming!

ps what age should i be able to tell the babies genders? ive had a look but they all have the same, er, "bits!" :oops: knowing my luck theyll be all boys but they were only a wk old friday just gone? i know theyre not easy to sex until now (boy has definately got boy bits as ds points out) and ive seen the pics (those poor buns! lol!)

anyways i promised i was going so i will, many thanx :love: again for all youre help :) louise xx

Welcome to RU Louise :wave: Sounds like youve got you hands full!!! Not really any advice but glad your trying to do the best for your buns :) Hope you get the playhouse from freecycle (fingers crossed for you)

As for sexing of the buns.. i dont think you can tell until theyre around 6/7 weeks old... i may be wrong! :?

Keep us updated xXx

Cheap run

Try this for size.....

Obtain an old 8ft x 6ft greenhouse...usually free oraround £20- £30 if most of the glass is missing or broken and you haggle and look around in all the freebie papers.

Remove all glass and replace roof with 1/2 inch cheap ply ...cover with cheap roofing felt.

Replace all glass with mesh (often it comes in 2ft widths which will fit where the glass was)and wire in with thin galvanised wire.

Put existing or freebie stout hutch in greenhouse and hay presto you have a great run combo .....if the hutch is in the run and the door is removed it does not really matter what size it is as long as it offers good weather protection.

Whats more ...you can get inside it , it will have a sliding door that you can lock(if you drill it in the right place ) and it woll not rot.....added to that you can dismantle it easily and take with you if you move!!:)

I estimate the total cost at under £100(and well under if you look around)

Alan.

Welcome to RU Louise Im in Solihull and not far from you :) I have three playhouses which Ive done out for some of the bunnies :) Also have some dog kennel runs. Look in the bargain pages they often have the playhouses in. Ill keep my eyes out :)

Hello and welcome.

Its great to see your aiming to provide the best for your buns.

Keep your eyes open, have you tried Ebay? I got my playhouse for £30 off ebay. We re-enforced the floor and re-felted the roof.

At present im not too happy with our set up, we have to swap buns between runs etc. However all buns are now neutered so ready to be bonded. Actually started work on the garden today to lay slabs for playhouse.

Give yourself time, and you'll get there.

Any piccies of babies? And most importantly your buns? :wave::D

You will get alot of information off here.

Ohh and i value your honesty!!!! :D

xx

The size and quality of the Happy Hutch and Rabbit Hutch Company combos on ebay are pretty much the same, so I'd go for the cheapest option.

I have 2 of the Hutch Company combos and they are fine as long as you make a couple of slight modifications...

1) reinforce the staples used to fix the mesh onto the wooden frame with proper fencing staples (available from DIY stores, Wilkos, etc)

2) add some bolts or padlocks for extra security.

3) cover the roof with tarpaulin (it's useful to leave a flap of tarpaulin at the front which can be dropped down over night and secured with elasticated bungee/luggage hooks).

P.S. I'm currently bidding on one of these combos (ending tonight)....so don't bid against me :lol:

Brand new 6'x6' greenhouse frame is £109: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...efview=search&ts=1219413382756&isSearch=false

This sheds 6'x3' £129: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...efview=search&ts=1219413500855&isSearch=false

You can get a bit bigger for a bit less if you catch them while on sale.

You could also look at this style of shed: http://www.summergardensheds.com/showprod.php?ref=BARGAIN-WOODEN-SHEDS-230890

With a couple of shelves/ramps and part of the door swapped for mesh that would make quite a spacious 'hutch'.

thankyou for all the suggestions, much appreciated, i like the playhouse idea as its easier to get in and out and im sure i could persuade my dad to fit wide shelves in it for them to run n hop on and the kids could fit in too, plus the existing run would be useable still and i could put the guineas in it too (who still get on ok with dad, even tho eldest guinea was sulking today, lol, didnt want to share his few hrs of dry weather!) unfortunately i didnt get the one offered on freecycle, but im going to keep an eye on there anyways, theres so much choice about i guess its narrowing it down to what we can fit in the garden to accomodate them, shame the kids plastic house cant be used, ive had a look on ebay and some of the sheds are still high priced given that id have to modify, so i think ill keep an eye out for sales :)

a friend dropped off a small hutch today (at a guess 3ft?) and her dd fell in love with the babies, so im hoping shell go home and pester power her dad :) but at least for now mum n babes r in a secure hutch which altho small, is better than the previous, she seemed 2 appreciate the seperate bed bit!! so for now i think ive been bought some more time, il swop mum n dad round next time theyre cleaned out and they can be aired/scrubbed properly, so im hoping for some dry weather, but then shed get the bigger hutch and hed be in the smaller, but i think she needs more space right now,
fingers crossed with a bit of luck it will all get sorted sooner rather than later, the indoor cage is bigger than the outdoor hutch so ive still got the option to bring them indoors and put the guineas out, but i want to wait till babes r older as its a big change!

lol tamsin i didnt bid against you :) im still at the research stage, im hoping to catch the odd one that has a low price that doesnt shoot up :) i will i will i will..... lol!!

webbkath sutton coldfield is right by me, lets hope that shed price doesnt creep up! the other ones already gone but was further out anyways, but ill keep looking :) ive even looked at a wierd shaped chicken coop but it looks waaaay too small, but eventually...i feel better now knowing theyre all locked up properly and the babies r soooo sweet! theyre doing more mini hopping rather than just crawling now, soooo cute! :love:still worried about the runt thats half the size of the others, but hes still growing so i guess i shouldnt worry 2 much?
many thanx again and will keep exploring options lou xx

Back