• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

been offered couple of rabbits

deez

Warren Scout
my daughters friend has bunnies- who shall we say are not doted on. anyway she has 4 in a small hutch, and her mum has told her she needs to get rid of 2. all i know is that they are young, and have floppy ears! apparently 2 where for daughters friend and 2 where for her brother.

i think my girl was telling her we where thinking of getting rabbits- so she has asked if we will take 2 of them.

i believe they are all boys- bought from a pet shop, and have been kept in a shed- in the hutch, but let out into the garden in the day.

as it happens i was in p@h yesterday, looking for rabbit stuff, and was looking at the thistle lodge- i think, the biggest one they do.

and was planning to go to rspca tomorrow to see what rabbits they had, and what hutch they would recommend.

i have told my daughter not to promise anything until i get some advice.
so eventually my question--
is the biggest hutch in pets at home big enough for 2 bunnies- will also be gettin a 42 inch dog crate for inside for them.
also, the bonding thing- will all 4 rabbits be bonded, or will they naturally be in pairs?

i am still planning on going to rspca tomorrow but feel so sorry for these other rabbits too.

Hiya :D

Well it's good of you to take them off their hands although you will need to check if they have been vaccinated against VHD and Myxi also, boys should be neutered around 4 months also (especially if there is two of them).

is the biggest hutch in pets at home big enough for 2 bunnies- will also be gettin a 42 inch dog crate for inside for them.

- I am not sure exactly but Purplebumble from this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=141881&highlight=thistle+lodge&page=3 bought the Thistle Lodge recently also - you can search the site for "thistle lodge" to find more help.

I would also recommend thinking about getting a wooden playhouse or shed and converting it as it's roomier.

I would get a bigger indoor crate also - preferably 5ft - or look at NIC cubes (they're great for indoor buns)

also, the bonding thing- will all 4 rabbits be bonded, or will they naturally be in pairs?

- rabbits love company although just like us humans, can be picky about their partners. Generally a girl/boy pairing from the same litter works well but both MUST be neutered to avoid inbreeding - boy/boy and girl/girl can also work but again both parties can be territoral so should be neutered to avoid fighting :)

i wouldn't think theyd be vaccinated or anything. and was worried about rebonding after neutering- thought maybe would be biting off more than could chew, being new to all this.
thanks for info bout crate, will get biggest one i can find. will still go to rspca and get their advice too, and hopefully they may have a bonded, neutered pair!
really put cat amoungst pigdeons being offered these 2

i wouldn't think theyd be vaccinated or anything. and was worried about rebonding after neutering- thought maybe would be biting off more than could chew, being new to all this.
thanks for info bout crate, will get biggest one i can find. will still go to rspca and get their advice too, and hopefully they may have a bonded, neutered pair!
really put cat amoungst pigdeons being offered these 2

So are you going for the two that were offered or are you looking elsewhere? - I would also search Rabbit Rehome, they're are loads of bunnies available, some ppl on here have rescues also.

Not sure where you live but they'res a gorgeous pair here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=2655457&posted=1#post2655457

Jasmine and Daisy :)

its difficult, i mean they could all be bonded but then if they r boyrs they r going to end up fighting etc, after neutering a re bond may not work etc, and in all honesty, i think if you are a first time bunny owner it may be better for you to go to a rescue, i got my 2 bunnies from PAH and i had 2 get neutuer and bond them its is alotof hassle. and then if the re bond doesnt work, so you want or have space for single bunnies?

have been searching through the rehomes, and was taking my time to ensure i had everything in place- proper size hutch etc.
we have the room, and already have an enclosed pen in the garden, which is 9x9 and fence is 6 foot high- was meant to be dogs pen, but it isnt used. so need to rabbit proof it with wire- get a hutch, a crate, and all the bits and pieces.
we live in north wales- quite far from rescues- except rspca locally. and kindly people have said even if far away, we could still have home check and a bunny run, if cant find what we're looking for locally.
which is why i've not jumped into saying yes to these two buns

i know that situation all too well, i drove 2 hours to the rspcato find my pebbles as there wasnt many rescues in my area.

it wouldnt be a bad thing if you adopted these bunnies, its just considering they r boys, it could have bondign complications as they may have started fighting etc. Whichever one u do u will be offering bunnies a lovely home
x

oh another question, which is abit off point. in p@h they had a lovely giant lop who they said was ex breeding, brought in by breeder. but they said he would have to be only rabbit. he was very placid and didnt struggle when i saw them picking him up-- why would he have to be an only rabbit. he was such a cutie, good job they said, he wasnt available yet cos i might ve been a bit of a sucker lol

I've seen some of the hutches at p@h and i was really impressed. They look to be of really good quality and bigger than the typical pet shop sized hutches that i wouldn't put a hamster in. I think thistle hall would be a fairly adequate size for two bunnies.
I'd guess that the bunnies will already be bonded together as they sound like they have been living together for some time. I think it would be acceptable to split them into pairs as they'd still have the companionship of another rabbit. Hope this helps
Helen xx

i know that situation all too well, i drove 2 hours to the rspcato find my pebbles as there wasnt many rescues in my area.

it wouldnt be a bad thing if you adopted these bunnies, its just considering they r boys, it could have bondign complications as they may have started fighting etc. Whichever one u do u will be offering bunnies a lovely home
x

ah thanks x at least if i go down the difficult route, i ve got you lot and your expertise

And about the giant rabbit, I think with appropriate bonding he could be housed with another bunny. Though it could take some time and effort. Bunnies shouldn't be housed alone as they are very sociable with each other and also means they don't become as bored and lonely when your not around.

I've seen some of the hutches at p@h and i was really impressed. They look to be of really good quality and bigger than the typical pet shop sized hutches that i wouldn't put a hamster in. I think thistle hall would be a fairly adequate size for two bunnies.
I'd guess that the bunnies will already be bonded together as they sound like they have been living together for some time. I think it would be acceptable to split them into pairs as they'd still have the companionship of another rabbit. Hope this helps
Helen xx

thanks thats helped, so its just rebonding i need to consider following neutering

thanks thats helped, so its just rebonding i need to consider following neutering

Why do you need to reconsider re-bonding (sorry my question mark doesn't work!!)

If you take these two bunnies on and book them in to be neutered they will both be done at the same time and there is no need to spit them up. I would say these bunnies are in greater need than one at a rescue. You say they have four living in one hutch...we don't know how big that hutch is, or if in fact they are all boys! If they aren't neutered and carry on living like this then they could end up fighting. I would look into taking them on and making sure they have a good life. :)

the hutch is one of the starter ones in p@h:cry: i pressume the buns where a lot smaller when they got them. my daughter has told them they need a bigger one anyway- even for two of them, never been backward at coming forward has my girl lol.
didnt think theyd be ok together after neutering, maybe just read threads wrong, or havent equated them to litter mates:oops:
thats why i'm here- to learn, thanks x

the hutch is one of the starter ones in p@h:cry: i pressume the buns where a lot smaller when they got them. my daughter has told them they need a bigger one anyway- even for two of them, never been backward at coming forward has my girl lol.
didnt think theyd be ok together after neutering, maybe just read threads wrong, or havent equated them to litter mates:oops:
thats why i'm here- to learn, thanks x

Your girl sounds responsible!!

Yeah you can have them neutered at the same time and they can recover together. I have two boys who are completely unrelated and met as adults, they are best friends!

I would just be cautious that they have all been sexed correctly in case you ended up with any baby bunnies!!! Why on earth did they decide to take on four at the same time anyway People just don't think! :roll:

no they dont think- apparently the mother is the sort of woman who gets a puppy then gives it away after 6 months! friends of mine live next door, and say shes done that about 3 times:evil:
so maybe i would be better taking 2 off her hands, would take them to the vets as soon as i got them anyway, so hopefully wont end up with kits.
thanks for all your help much appreciated

no they dont think- apparently the mother is the sort of woman who gets a puppy then gives it away after 6 months! friends of mine live next door, and say shes done that about 3 times:evil:
so maybe i would be better taking 2 off her hands, would take them to the vets as soon as i got them anyway, so hopefully wont end up with kits.
thanks for all your help much appreciated

I know people like that too :( My aunt let my young cousin get two rabbits and just let them breed for a year.... all of the litters died because she was having them under the decking, then they would lock her in the hutch for a few days, let her out for a few days etc. :censored:

I was looking after them both, neutered the male but the doe had babies while she was here, of course my aunt wasn't interested and I had to deal with finding the babies homes as well as looking after all eight rabbits and feeding them. I didn't even get a thank you! I just found out that they are now planning on getting my cousin a puppy.... she is petrified of dogs :? and I can already guess what will happen to the rabbits. They are apparently going camping over the bank holiday weekend, and I have a feeling that they are planning on just leaving the rabbits out in the garden or in the hutch.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Back