• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't know what to do =[

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Well for the past few months everything has been up in the air - I split up from my fiancee and we went our seperate ways, I lost my job and started suffering bad with depression. Now I've got a job, which pays a little, and I'm going back to university in September.

The problem I have now is funding my rabbits, which I never thought would be a problem until now :cry: My ex and I have both been paying money forward so they don't go without SS, hay and vege... as well as 3 rabbits vaccinations been due within the last two months - but now my ex fiancee has met someone else and is being really funny about giving me money for them, and I don't know what to do.

When I go back to uni I wont be working, I will be living off of my student loan. I can't bare to think of not having my rabbits, especially as 3 of them I took on from rescue centres in good faith that I would be their forever home.

I feel like a failure :cry:

Aww what a shame :( depression is awful (((Hugs))) I hope everything picks up for you soon. Do you not have any other family that could maybe help you out with the Bunnies?? It would be such a shame to give them up, bet theyve been keeping you going :) xXx

I only have my mum, but she's just taken on 2 kittens which I rescued as no one else wanted them and all the rescue centres around here were fully booked and they're costing her an arm and a leg.

I'm not giving them up, I just wondered if anyone else has had similar problems and managed to pull through? Because I don't want to lose any of them xx

Hi

I'm really sorry to hear your problems, hope things pick up for you soon. The only thing I can think of suggesting is that you do a budget and work out where you can cut back, for example:-

Buy hay in bales from a farm shop - about £4 a bale and much more economic

Gradually switch them over to Allen & Page - aprox £8 for 20 kg as opposed to £18.99 for SS for 10kg

Put a few pounds aside each week for vaccinations so it doesn't come as a big shock when they are due.

Hope it works out for you x

Your not a failure... I think alot of people are struggling with money at the moment, we sure are :( I agree with julias budgeting tips :) And i would definately change their food over :) Hope things get better soon xXx Do bunnies move back to uni with you then??

I can sympathise, I found it quite difficult when I was at uni to afford everything (including the rabbits) but I managed.

I found that it's the unexpected expenses that tend to cause problems, eg. when they have GI Stasis and need the vets or injuries. I used to (and still do) try to make sure that I always kept a 'buffer zone' of money that I tried not to go below in my current account, that way, if something crops up, you have the money to pay for it. It was hard and I went without things that I wanted sometimes but it's worth it in the end.

I'm going back into education in September and I'm looking for ways to economise now. I'm buying hay by the bale and Megazorb (rather then Carefresh). I also put money aside each month for vaccinations. If you work out what you spend (which is scary, I know), you can usually find ways to cut back without impacting on the welfare of your rabbits. It may also be worth asking your vets if they do any discounts for things like vaccinations.

We are having to cut back so much at the moment everything seems to have gone up in price apart from our wages :(
My husband is working such long hours at the moment he's still not home and left the house 5.30 am this morning, he's not getting paid any extra and as he says he's lucky to still have a job some of his work mates don't anymore :(
I think everyone is in the same boat as you Lou money is tight at the mo. I've had to stop buying dustfree hay and buy from my local farm,I've also changed to A&P pellets from SS this has saved me quite a few pounds.

ive been wondering myself if not feeding the expensive timothy hay for a while would upset my buns... £50 a month on hay is no fun and ste needs to save to be a trucker :? as well as keeping the mega expensive car :evil:

i really hope you can find a way to afford to keep your bunnies Lou xxxxxxx

It will be ough but i think if you really want to keep them, you just have to be super thrifty in other areas of your life...grow your own veg, make new things from old, buy second hand etc

I know youlll probably still be skint but it's worth a try

I might be taking a wage cut next year but have been saving lots of pennies by doing ridiculous things like drying my own herbs to make tea, quite enjoying it :lol:

Thank you for everyones advice =]

Where can I get Allan and Paige from? I've asked my local pet shop and one not too far away but they say they can't source it. Also not totally sure if there are any horse places in Liverpool =S

xx

Thank you for everyones advice =]

Where can I get Allan and Paige from? I've asked my local pet shop and one not too far away but they say they can't source it. Also not totally sure if there are any horse places in Liverpool =S

xx

Hilda gets mine frm Warrington it's a massive saving.

Back