• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

virkon???

I work in a microbiology lab and we use virkon or trigene which supposedly kill bacteria, viruses and most fungal spores, don't know how safe they are for animals though. :?:

Nothing actually kills everything, as far as I know. Virkon, Trigene etc kills most bacteria, fungus etc, but doesn't kill protozoa. Bleach kills EC but doesn't kill coccidia. Jeyes fluid kills coccidia. Steam cleaning is obviously good too.

Jeyes fluid is incredibly toxic though - the reason it is good is because it kills coccidia spores which most things don't - but the animals need to be well away until it has totally dried and all the fumes gone, which can be days in wooden hutches!

I use virkon as it does kill standard bacteria and virii including VHD, but it isn't effective against spores like coccidia and e.cuniculi.

right ok.the hutch will be empty for a good while so if i used jeyes fluid with boiling water would this kill it?x

We use F10 as this is very safe for animals as well as being very effective against bacteria, fungi, viruses and many parasites

i would certainly not use jeyes fluid to clean a cage out, its highly toxic, not many places actually sell it either now, there is nothing wrong with using hot diluted vinegar spray clean and airiate if your worred about bugs you can also get a spray to fumigate the hutch which you have to leave for a least half and hour before putting in newspaper(johnsons), i think somtimes we can be TTTTTToooooooo clean, and thus we nor the animals can bulid up the immune system, if you really want to give it a good clean invest in a good steamcleaner, more enviromentaly freindly too

right ok.its just with my bun havin ec i wanted make sure i got rid of all the germs completly before she went abck in?x

i would certainly not use jeyes fluid to clean a cage out, its highly toxic, not many places actually sell it either now, there is nothing wrong with using hot diluted vinegar spray clean and airiate if your worred about bugs you can also get a spray to fumigate the hutch which you have to leave for a least half and hour before putting in newspaper(johnsons), i think somtimes we can be TTTTTToooooooo clean, and thus we nor the animals can bulid up the immune system, if you really want to give it a good clean invest in a good steamcleaner, more enviromentaly freindly too

Jeyes fluids is fine for cleaning out hutches Kim .

thanks.its a double hutch.will the bun in the bottom hutch be affected by smell or should i take that one out aswell until dried?x

Move the bun at the bottom aswell and give it a good clean don't put any bun back until it's totally dry..

I believe Jeyes is the only thing to kill certain germs ....

What treatment is the rabbit receiving Kim?

PS Ignore this as I have now seen the other thread.

Virkon is effective against E Coli. Personally I wouldn't use the Jeyes, as good animal safe disinfectants eradicate E Coli.

Back