• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Boarding in Essex...

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
yes i know I do bunny boarding, but my mum is going away in october, when i am at university so we need boarding for thebuns, my dad will be here but he goes out to work at 6am and is back at 6pm so he wouldnt have time to notice if they were unwell etc...

plus its for a week so..im a bit concerned and would rather put them into boarding. Or if someone wants to look after them whos in essex that would be fab but obviously they are a group now so could pose problems so i dont really expect that to be possible.

i need somewhere which can take a group of four, and put them in the run every day :D

any recommendations?

*I am not recommending any of these, just places I know of* PM me if you want any specific details ;)

The bunnery near takeley has a huge 15ft hutch which would take 4 - they don't use runs though, they do stay in the hutch all the time...and the hutches have carpet which I thought was a bit odd. Might be worth going along for a look.

Other than that the Tiptree hopper group lady does boarding, she's in Tiptree. Not sure if you'd have to take accommodation over, she usually has them in a cage in the bedroom.

Mine always go to Caroline's rescue in Herts which is another option, although a lot further, there's probably closer places in Kent, Suffolk, London from your side of Essex.

*I am not recommending any of these, just places I know of* PM me if you want any specific details ;)

The bunnery near takeley has a huge 15ft hutch which would take 4 - they don't use runs though, they do stay in the hutch all the time...and the hutches have carpet which I thought was a bit odd. Might be worth going along for a look.

Other than that the Tiptree hopper group lady does boarding, she's in Tiptree. Not sure if you'd have to take accommodation over, she usually has them in a cage in the bedroom.

Mine always go to Caroline's rescue in Herts which is another option, although a lot further, there's probably closer places in Kent, Suffolk, London from your side of Essex.

i had to take accomodation when i enquired to the tiptree lady before which wouldnt be posible with a group.

hmmmm i will enquire the bunnery, i feel strange cus i DO pet boarding but even we need a holiday sometimes!

I was looking at some of these recently (just out of curiosity). The carpet thing at the Bunnery seems odd to me too. In terms of infection control, it can't be good - I'm paranoid about EC (given that Virkon etc don't get rid of it and hardly anyone seems to use bleach routinely). I guess from an infection control point of view, taking your own accommodation has to be better.

Sorry to hijack the thread - just a subject I'm interested in, being a local etc! :)

I was looking at some of these recently (just out of curiosity). The carpet thing at the Bunnery seems odd to me too. In terms of infection control, it can't be good - I'm paranoid about EC (given that Virkon etc don't get rid of it and hardly anyone seems to use bleach routinely). I guess from an infection control point of view, taking your own accommodation has to be better.

Sorry to hijack the thread - just a subject I'm interested in, being a local etc! :)

carpet isnt good for peanuts sore hocks anyway, so it wouldnt be good for him.

i think they have 2 go somewhere where there is runs... they love playing outside i couldnt take that away from them for a week.

hmmmmmmm

There was a fairly new place someone spoke about on here a while ago, think it was Harlow/Epping way, it seemed good. I'll see if I can find the link.

I'm sure the bunnery said they boil wash the carpet between occupants, but it still doesn't seem quite sensible to me. I'm sure they'd take it out and put your usual bedding down if you asked. I'd be worried about mine eating it too!

The only thing I'd be wary of there is that she does have a lot of rabbits and if yours are in close proximity, it could well kick them off fighting. From that point of view they may be better off in a purpose built facility where there are less buns around - especially as it's low season.

The only thing I'd be wary of there is that she does have a lot of rabbits and if yours are in close proximity, it could well kick them off fighting. From that point of view they may be better off in a purpose built facility where there are less buns around - especially as it's low season.

thats a good point! hmm i think they need to go somewhere where they can have like a shed 2 themselves or something but whats the chances of that!

thats a good point! hmm i think they need to go somewhere where they can have like a shed 2 themselves or something but whats the chances of that!

Hi :wave:

Have you thought about a pet sitter? I use Cozipets (based in South Woodham) I reckon she would come to Maldon though. http://www.cozipets.co.uk/

She is lovely, and spends an hour with the rabbits per visit...and could do more than one visit a day if you asked. She took really good care of my bunnies last time we went away.

have you thought about a pet sitter? i.e. someone who comes to your house/garden to feed check and clean them daily? We use Hazel from 'Cosy COmpanions' in Billericay who is an ex vet nurse. SHe's expensive but really reliable. I expect that is too far for her to travel but you might find someone similar round your way.

have you thought about a pet sitter? i.e. someone who comes to your house/garden to feed check and clean them daily? We use Hazel from 'Cosy COmpanions' in Billericay who is an ex vet nurse. SHe's expensive but really reliable. I expect that is too far for her to travel but you might find someone similar round your way.

Great minds think alike!

Hi :wave:

Have you thought about a pet sitter? I use Cozipets (based in South Woodham) I reckon she would come to Maldon though. http://www.cozipets.co.uk/

She is lovely, and spends an hour with the rabbits per visit...and could do more than one visit a day if you asked. She took really good care of my bunnies last time we went away.

well no bcus my dad is at home, so it wouldnt make sense to pay someone to come in and check on them. its just my dad is out most of the day, and i dont like them being seen to once a day, or twice even. plus i want them to be able to go in the run etc:)

There's going to be compromise whichever option you choose - so I guess it's down to where they will be happiest and best kept an eye on for a limited period of time.

I go away for a week tomorrow leaving hubby in charge of the buns...I'm not 100% happy about that either because he might not notice any changes soon enough, but in spite of his protests, he does know them better than anywhere else I could take them, and he knows who to call and what to do if something is amiss. They might well be better 'kept an eye on' if they go boarding, but then they would have the stress of moving to unfamiliar surroundings and that in itself could increase the likelihood of somthing happening - especially with Santa and her snuffles.

There's going to be compromise whichever option you choose - so I guess it's down to where they will be happiest and best kept an eye on for a limited period of time.

I go away for a week tomorrow leaving hubby in charge of the buns...I'm not 100% happy about that either because he might not notice any changes soon enough, but in spite of his protests, he does know them better than anywhere else I could take them, and he knows who to call and what to do if something is amiss. They might well be better 'kept an eye on' if they go boarding, but then they would have the stress of moving to unfamiliar surroundings and that in itself could increase the likelihood of somthing happening - especially with Santa and her snuffles.

im happy leaving my dad in care of them, bcus like ur say, he knows them better than a boarder would, its only bcus he wont be home to see to them that i want a boarder, he goes out at 6am, and hes back at 6pm, then hes going to have his dinner, have a bath (hes a bricklayer so messy work lol) and then by the time ehs done that he has enough time to feed them and watch a bit of tv.

if i cnt find somewhere where they will have enough room i will leave them where they are, as i dont want them to be sad :(

Back