• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very soft poo's....

Scooner

Young Bun
Hello,

Sorry about this! I feel like I'm only talking about my rabbit's poo on here at the moment!

We got a rescue bun two weeks ago and she has settled in nicely with our first house bun Oscar. I noticed though that her poo's are not like Oscar's, which are well formed balls, hers are very soft and as they run around the house they squash them in to a sloppy mess! Again sorry for the subject matter!

She in herself seems fine! She's always active and very happy she eats a lot of hay she has pellets and veg in the evening. There is nothing in her diet different to Oscars. Does anyone know why this might be happening? If i should be worried? And if i can stop it?

Is it that she is passing a lot of excess caecotrophs or are her 'hard poos' actually soft ?

What Pellet feed is she having and what was she on at the Rescue ?

Is there ever any mucus around the poo?

Sorry for all the questions but a bit more info would be helpful

:)

I can't find any other hard poos that i think are hers, they are bigger and look like Oscars.

There isn't any musus and she is on the same feed as she was at the rescue, the science selective stuff.

Would the amount of veg she is now eating affect her, as she probably didn't have as much at the rescue.

And thanks for asking, i'd really like to work this out for her. (And me as the poos are harder to clean up!)

Are they sort of sticky and 'splatty' looking, and very dark brown? Or shaped sort of like a bunch of grapes? If so (both options), they are caecotrophs, which is a different issue to diarrhoea/soft poo.

Back