• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

1 crate=2 small buns?

deez

Warren Scout
if i want house buns, would a large dog crate be big enough for 2, or do they need 1 each?
and when the weathers nice, does eveyone let theirs in hutches, or out in the day and back in at night?
i'm a bit of a worrier about them being out at night- even in garage, had a bun die in garage one particularly cold night when i was a kid.
and another question== really sorry, but i'm still learning and wanna get it right lol
if a bonded pair have been used to being outside- would they be ok as house rabbits- or prefer outside

A large dog crate (42"+) is fine for two buns, especially if you can have another level put in it.

Due to personal reasons my buns only go outside when I'm there but there's plenty of people who let their bunnies out for the day in a secure hutch and/or run & bring them back in at night.

You're right about garages though, they're not the best place due to lack of ventilation making them too hot or too cold; and also fumes if it's in use.

As for bringing outdoor buns in, if they were to live outdoors but visit then it would be fine so long as the house wasn't warmer than outside for their visit - if that makes sense? :lol:

My bunny used to live outdoor before being rescued, now she lives with us indoors but as foxyfaerie says we put her in a cool but not draughty part of the house. We never have our heating above about 18 degrees and only twice a day for short periods. It took a while for her to acclimatise, she moulted quite a bit but she settled in without suffering.

my heating never on- have alaskan malamutes and they dont do heat!!

I wish mine was never on! :lol: My O/H has a much slower metabolism than me though :( It's a bit higher than LuceMarbles' at 21, but we have our windows on the latch & live where it's pretty windy so there's always fresh air around :lol:

Back