• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

corn on the cob???

kimd6200

Banned
hopefully someone will reply,could anyone tell me if rabbits can eat corn on the cob?also can they eat the leaves?x

Never heard of it but that bunny I'm bunnysitting has a corn on a cob without leaves and seems to love them :)
I didnt put the corn on the cob in there but her owner did.

Im not sure about the fresh corn but I do know that they shouldnt eat the dried variety you buy in pet shops because its been known to cause a blockage in their guts

pet shops sell them, but there actually not very good for buns, if we cant digest corn then how can a bunny?

i would take it out, dont worry u werent to know, my peanut used to adore them, but he hasnt had them for years

Just spoke on the phone to my bestfriend [owner of snowbell and jaffa] and she said not to take it out :shock:. Do I or not?
Help!!

Yes, Not only should they not have it for the gut reasons, but would she overload her children with sugar? They shouldn't be given those corn on the cobs ever.

She may think she is doing a kind thing for them by giving them one as a treat, but she is actually causing them harm.

ETA... she really shouldn't be bedding Jaffa on shavings either.... they can cause respiratory problems in rabbits and irritate their eyes and nasal passages, especially a little bunny like Jaffa! If she wants to use shaving she should cover them up with hay. :)

Last edited:
Yes, Not only should they not have it for the gut reasons, but would she overload her children with sugar? They shouldn't be given those corn on the cobs ever.

She may think she is doing a kind thing for them by giving them one as a treat, but she is actually causing them harm.

I dont want the rabbit to come any harm but I dont want my friend finding out and having a go at me thinking I know best :(:?

I dont want the rabbit to come any harm but I dont want my friend finding out and having a go at me thinking I know best :(:?

I would print this thread out for her and ask her to speak to any rabbit savvy vet who will tell her the same thing :)

I understand your predicament though, although I would say to her that she is in your care and you wouldn't give your own bunny one so why would you give it to hers. I don't think she can argue with that as you are doing her a favour. We only learn by our mistakes and by taking other people's advice. It's only in the rabbits interest, not to prove who knows more. :)

I would print this thread out for her and ask her to speak to any rabbit savvy vet who will tell her the same thing :)

I understand your predicament though, although I would say to her that she is in your care and you wouldn't give your own bunny one so why would you give it to hers. I don't think she can argue with that as you are doing her a favour. We only learn by our mistakes and by taking other people's advice. It's only in the rabbits interest, not to prove who knows more. :)

Okay, I have taken it out and binned it.
It was half eaten though - will that have done any harm?
Please say it doesn't! :(

Well I gave mine some corn on the cob on saturday and they ae all still living and have no problems:D. I definately don't give it to them alot but will still give it to them.
You always tend to get a of alot of conflicting advice:D

Okay, I have taken it out and binned it.
It was half eaten though - will that have done any harm?
Please say it doesn't! :(

probably not, chances are she could eat it her whole life and be 100% fine. but there is a chance it could cause a blockage, so i dont feed it as a precation.

x

Ohh thank god.
I didnt want me being responable her the death of her rabbit :(

course you wont be! its a grey area, its not like a poisonous plant or something which is definatly not for buns, its personal choice.

I run a bunny boarding, and if anyone brings corn on the cobs here, i just give them back when they return, and explain that personally i dont like them, so wont feed them whilst here as it makes me worry lol.

peanut once ate a whole one in 20mins andwas off his food for a while when he was a baby

:shock: I gave the dried cobs to mine as a treat so they only had about 5mins to nibble it before I took it away. I only got it cos I read somewhere that it was okay but knowing its starchy I limited the treat.
Now I've read this and checked all the rabbit savvy sites - non of which recommend this or legumes or seeds and nuts - I won't buy anymore so thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Neither bunny has suffered from eating them by the way. But then I always watch them carefully when they try anything new.

Back