PDA

View Full Version : How could someone not care about this cute little piggy??!!

Lea - Molly's mum
19-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm sorry guys but this post may turn out to be a bit of a rant...

I went home this weekend for my mum's birthday and found that she had 'acquired' (being dumped with) a baby guinea piggy...well I say a baby piggy, my first question was 'is it a hamster?' because it was that small.

Turns out my sister's, boyfriends mum breeds guinea pigs (and now has got fed up and so wants to re-home over 50! :censored:). This little guy is four weeks old but weighs less than 100g!!!
He was the runt of a litter of three boars, the mum died either straight after birth or at the very latest a week after birth and according to my sister the woman was 'too busy' to hand rear the three babies and because a local rescue had refused to take all 50 piggies she didn't think to ask if they would take the orphans. So the three babies were left with hay (i hope!), water and chinchilla food (no vitamin C here!) and were left in with the father!

By the time the baby made it to mum's it was 4 weeks old, apparently it's too bigger brothers were doing much better - but as i said he only weighed 100g. Mum had been told he was a 'grek' who was blind and couldn't walk properly so wasn't worth bothering with. Once we washed his eyes (which his mum would have done for him) he could see perfectly through his beautiful ruby eyes and once we had removed all the dried poo which had set and turned his feet into clubs (he was producing really soft poos due to his poor diet) he could walk fine too.

Mum and I spent most of the weekend with this little guy in our hands (where he would curl up and go to sleep and occasionally give you a quick lick-kiss), hoody pouches etc. because he was so frail and because he cried because he was so miserable when he was alone. A beanie hat has become a new snuggly bed for him and he has proper guinea pig food, greens and calcium supplement in his water. Mum says he is producing lots more poops but has yet to weigh him. She's even taking him to work with her so she can keep an eye one him.

Can everyone please keep him in their hearts because this poor little guy deserves so much better than his previous 'owners' :censored::censored::censored: were giving him.

Pictures of Ozzy (Ozzy Osborne hair) should be below...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/leapeake/DSC00096.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/leapeake/DSC00095.jpg

Tinsel
19-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Aw poor little thing. He still looks very frail. Has a vet seen him? Sounds like you're doing a great job of looking after him. Vibes to him! :wave:

Steph
19-08-2008, 01:03 PM
:evil: :evil: ! Poor little piggie. Well done on your mum for helping him. Sending loads of vibes !

rabswood
19-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Oh bless him.
Good luck little guy.

I detest breeders.

Rabswood

Lea - Molly's mum
19-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Aw poor little thing. He still looks very frail. Has a vet seen him? Sounds like you're doing a great job of looking after him. Vibes to him! :wave:

We spoke to a vet but as his poops had become more solid he suggested that we keep an eye on him and to bring him in if he fails to put on any more weight. He also suggested the calcium supplement.

I've also just spoken to mum and she says "his cage looks like he invited a lot of mice around for a poop party last night!" and he has put on 5g!! :D

Lea. x

minirex
19-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Poor baby:( Sending lot's of (((((vibes))))) What is going to happen to the other 50 guinea pigs?

Tinsel
19-08-2008, 01:09 PM
We spoke to a vet but as his poops had become more solid he suggested that we keep an eye on him and to bring him in if he fails to put on any more weight. He also suggested the calcium supplement.

I've also just spoken to mum and she says "his cage looks like he invited a lot of mice around for a poop party last night!" and he has put on 5g!! :D

Lea. x

That's great! What a little fighter! He deserves the best life ever after this bad start. How lucky he's safe now :D

Lea - Molly's mum
19-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Poor baby:( Sending lot's of (((((vibes))))) What is going to happen to the other 50 guinea pigs?

I don't know, mum might take another boy as a companion for Ozzy when he's stronger.

I suppose she will try and sell them, after all that's all breeders seem to care about! :evil:

My sister is trying to find homes for them but she is 'stuck between a rock and a hard place' with it being her boyfriends Mum.
She is a very persuasive girl though and she is doing a National Diploma in Animal Care and Management, so they have a good guardian. My sisters college might even take some.

Lea. x

areia
19-08-2008, 01:16 PM
:evil: well done you on looking after him poor little mite i always have had a soft spot for runts of litters my bigs was a runt and he still going strong after nearly 6 years

jackiestone
19-08-2008, 01:25 PM
He is just gorgeous,sending him lots and lots of vibes that he will grow up big and strong:love::love::love::love::love:

Lea - Molly's mum
19-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Here's a few more pics for any Ozzy fans out there (my office is now full of Ozzy fans but I'm definitely the biggest Ozzy fan!)

Sorry about pic quality, they are from my phone.

Ozzy in his-hat bed...
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/leapeake/DSC00087.jpg

Ozzy in his hat-bed with what looks like a huge piece of guinea pig food...
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/leapeake/DSC00089.jpg

Ozzy in his mini-cage, this is to make him more portable during the day...
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/leapeake/DSC00097.jpg

harpo
19-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Poor ozzy :love::love: please keep us updated on his progress.

XMissySJx
19-08-2008, 02:05 PM
poor little boy :( at least he has a loving home now! well done!
x

areia
19-08-2008, 02:07 PM
what were those things in star trek tribbles or something he reminds me of one of them bless his lil heart, will be watching his progress

Lea - Molly's mum
19-08-2008, 02:13 PM
what were those things in star trek tribbles or something he reminds me of one of them bless his lil heart, will be watching his progress

Just googled 'tribbles' and I have to agree!! :lol::lol::lol:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/leapeake/tribblecopy.jpghttp://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/leapeake/DSC00085.jpg

I think I might have called him Worzel (from Worzel Gomage - probably spelt that VERY wrong!).

Lea. x

skeleton
19-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi,oh he's soooooooooooo gorgeous Vibes for him and well done your mum for looking after him.He's a wee fighter x

bunsmum
19-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Ahhh bless him he is so tiny. Good luck with him and keep us updated on his progress

areia
20-08-2008, 04:05 PM
:wave: how is he today

sweetcheeksemma
20-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Poor piggie :(

Luciuslop
20-08-2008, 05:22 PM
:cry::cry: poor little guy, what a miserable start to life he's had. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Lea - Molly's mum
20-08-2008, 06:15 PM
:wave: how is he today

Getting stronger and eating well!!

He's also loving all the cuddles and attention - he loves hands so much that when he sees them coming towards him he stands still and looks up so you will pick him up!!!

He is such a sweetie! He's going to make such a lovely piggy! :love::love::love:

Thanks for all the comments guys, told mum about all the lovely comments you've left and she was touched. :wave:

March Hare
20-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Awww, the poor sweet little mite!!!!! :cry: :cry:

Thank GOODNESS your mum took him in and is taking such good care of him......SO pleased to hear that he is gaining well now!!! :D :D :D

Shall be watching for updates!!! :D

Hopper
20-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Oh poor ozzie, a little sweetheart he is :love:

Grrrr, some breeder animal lover to just suddenly get bored and re home them all and leave poor babies to get in that state :censored:

Best of vibes to you Ozzie, you sweet iccle boy. Your all doing a great job with him, well done :wave:

Are you keeping him?

Lea - Molly's mum
21-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Oh poor ozzie, a little sweetheart he is :love:

Grrrr, some breeder animal lover to just suddenly get bored and re home them all and leave poor babies to get in that state :censored:

Best of vibes to you Ozzie, you sweet iccle boy. Your all doing a great job with him, well done :wave:

Are you keeping him?

He's living with mum at the moment, at first I think she had the intention of just getting his fitness back up then re-homing him, but I wouldn't be surprised if she decides to keep him - he is just SSSOOOOO gorgeous and lovable!
I only spent the weekend with him, but it was the hardest thing in the world to put him back in his cage and go home (i live 3 and a half hours away by coach). :(

SunshineandTwinkle
21-08-2008, 09:36 AM
He is precious. :)

Is he eating ok now? How is his weight doing?

Lea - Molly's mum
21-08-2008, 09:52 AM
He is precious. :)

Is he eating ok now? How is his weight doing?

I will call my mum and check! :D:wave:....

......She is going to weigh him again tonight so I will keep you al posted, she says that she can feel a little round tum on him too! :D

Becca
21-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Awwww bless he is so sweet.
So glad he is in safe hands now:D

Lea - Molly's mum
22-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Big cheers for Ozzy who is now......drum roll please.......120g!!!!
I can't believe he's gained a 5th of his original body weight in less than a week!! :shock:
My mum is now officially my hero!! :lol:

March Hare
22-08-2008, 10:39 AM
That is absolutely BRILLIANT news!!!!! :D :D

Three cheers for your Mum!!!!! :D

Wilbur
22-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Aw, such a heart warming story! Well done to your mum (and Ozzy!)

xxx

Lea - Molly's mum
22-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Here he is looking much more like a normal little piggy!!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/leapeake/ozzy.jpg

Doesn't he look better? :mrgreen:

Sparkle x
22-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Aww reading this brought tears to my ears!!

Big well done to your mum!!!!!

Well done Ozzy, keep strong!!

x:love:

~ Cat ~
22-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Keep Strong Ozzy - your so sweeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

March Hare
22-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

He looks SO incredibly much better now!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Emm-Jane76
22-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Lots of vibes for the little man. Well done to your mum for her love and care towards him. He is a lucky little piggy x

Zara
22-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm glad he's getting stronger!

Bunnyaddict
22-08-2008, 10:48 PM
:love::love::love: Awwwwww Ozzy you are such a brave little boy - I just want to love & snuggle you better. Well done to your mum for the love & care she's given him, he looks so much better than he did. Keep fighting little boy & keep putting weight on! xxx

KarenRGPR
23-08-2008, 12:24 AM
He's gorgeous, looks like a little Lilac/beige Texel type :) Do you have an adult you could put with him to teach him 'guinea pig ways'? A gentle adult boar would be good :)
Well done your Mum :)

billysmom
23-08-2008, 12:32 AM
:love: Ozzy is gorgeous and such a brave piggy, well done for all the care your mom has given Ozzy:thumb:

sweetcheeksemma
23-08-2008, 03:21 AM
Such a brave piggie :)

rineyroo
23-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Aww he looks so much better. :love:

areia
23-08-2008, 05:01 PM
soooooooooooo much better ten gold stars to ya mom :D

Amsy1991
23-08-2008, 05:26 PM
aww he is gorgeous!

mm its a shame we just got our two new boys. we may have been able to take two in.
i wasnt following the whole story, i read tiny bits, so forgive me if im wrong. :)

he is so cute! he looks a little sweetheart :love:

and its great news hes comming on so well!

amyx

Maizey
23-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Well done to you and your mum for saving Ozzy,hes gorgeous:love::love::love::love:

skeleton
04-09-2008, 01:31 AM
Just wanted to see how wee Ozzy is doing.Bet your mum is so in love with him x

Hel - Molly's Auntie
27-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Just want to clear some things up, :wave:

It was guinea pig food, it had been put in a chinchilla food bag for me to take some with me.

He was born with a bad eye, but its luckily now all better and we can see his pretty pink/red eyes :love:

He once as a baby got very bad diarrhoea, because of the lack of milk at such an early age, which caused the matted fur, it was much worse before we got him but he was being worked on a little bit every day, so as not to stress him too much.

The piggies lived with their mother and father until their mother died when the babies were a week old,:( by which time the babies had already started eating solid food.

50+ plus guinea pigs was an exxageration, I.e"There were hundredds of em!"
there were about 35 alltogether,:oops: all of which have been re-homed to pet homes, none were sold.

Her piggies were her babies, which got out of control until she had too many that she could not care for them properly and therefore felt the best thing to do was to re-home them to people who can.

The rehoming centre was completely full, they couldn't take ANY guineas in at all.

Here are some pics of the lovely wheekies that were rehomed

Flora & Fauna
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll108/hpeake666/Wheekies52.jpg

Sidney
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll108/hpeake666/Wheekies54.jpg

Tiny
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll108/hpeake666/Wheekies56.jpg

Teddy
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll108/hpeake666/Wheekies58.jpg

I can assure you that she loves all her guinea pigs and treats them well, and has done for over 10 years, even when she had over 50 they all had names, she knew all their birthdays and all of them would get cuddles and loves.

I think some info has just got lost in translation.

Thanks
Hel :twisted:

Pringle
27-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Poor wee guy :(. He looks so frail, well done to you and your mum :) xx